When it comes to chocolate, we are all Bruce vs. the chocolate cake from Matilda (extra chocolatey brownie points if you know what I'm talking about!). I think most people would agree: we can't live with it, and we can't live without it. It's one of those things that you constantly crave, constantly fascinate about, and are probably drooling heavily about it at this very moment. Because the world is so fascinated with the wonderful creation that is chocolate, it should come as no surprise that America created a national day of honoring chocolate covered anything - yes, you heard correctly. National Chocolate Covered Anything Day is on December 16th, and I'm sharing all the tips on how to celebrate this oh-so-sweet day. 

But First, History

Chocolate has a long history, and goes all the way back to the Mesoamericans in 1900 B.C. These people would take the cacao beans from the plant, roast them, and mix them with a bunch of spices, honey, and water to make a super delicious drink, much resembling the myriad of chocolate drinks we have out today. As time went on, many civilizations found chocolate to be an aphrodisiac, and actually worshipped a god of cacao. In the 1500s, chocolate was considered a luxury, and was mostly eaten by the royal in Spain in a sweetened drink with sugar and cinnamon. Yum. 

The Spanish considered chocolate their own little secret, until someone found out about it and spread it to France, and then the rest of the world. Plantations growing cacao starting coming about in order to mass produce chocolate, and from there, the world was revolutionized.

It wasn't until the genius of all geniuses, Coenraad Johannes van Houten, made a cocoa press in 1828, and made it possible to squeeze a chocolate powder from cacao beans, creating cocoa powder, the very thing that is used today to make everything chocolate, from cakes, to bars, to drinks. The rest is history...Hershey's, Ghirardelli, Cadbury, and Toblerone became a thing...and here we are.

Nutrition

Contrary to what you might have thought, chocolate and health are not oxymorons. Cacao is a great source of flavonoids, which are antioxidants that have showed great implications for brain health and impeding the formation of free radicals that can lead to inflammation and other diseases. However, keep in mind that unless you are eating 100% cacao dark chocolate, which is probably not the case since it is ridiculously bitter, you are probably eating some cacao mixed with fat, sugar, and milk. This lowers the antioxidant number by a lot, and increases the amount of saturated fat and sugar, which is just empty calories without any nutrients, in your diet.

Therefore, the key is moderation. You can have your cake and eat it too, but don't make it an everyday thing. Honor your cravings whenever you have them, we're all human and deserve to give our body what it loves! But remember that portion control will be your best bet here to avoid overworking your pancreas in the release of insulin, leading to high blood sugar levels that can be potentially dangerous. A great way to get in those antioxidants would be buying unsweetened cocoa powder and putting some in smoothies or almond milk with a little dash of honey or maple syrup!

sweet, candy, chocolate, chips, chocolate chips, cocoa
Caroline Ingalls

Now...how will you celebrate National Chocolate Covered Anything Day this year? Chocolate goes great with just about anything, but below are five different foods to dip in chocolate that will make this holiday truly rewarding.

1. Pretzels

Susy Cohen

Pretzels are great on their own. But have you tried them dipped in chocolate? Two words: life changing. The salty crunch paired with the decadent chocolate is definitely a duo that combines the best of both worlds. National Chocolate Covered Anything worthy! (Photo above by Spoon FIU photographer Deborah Bortunk!)

2. Fruit

chocolate, sweet, cake, candy
Kelly Redfield

Fruits go well with anything. But nothing compares to fruit dipped in chocolate! No matter which one you love: strawberries, pineapple, apples, or bananas...they all make great bffs with this sweet and sticky brown goodness. 

3. Cookie Dough Dough Balls

chocolate, candy, sweet, milk, goody, cream, coffee, truffle, sweetmeat, cake, milk chocolate
Luna Zhang

It's basically chocolate chip cookie meet more chocolate, causing a huge explosion in your mouth. Yes, please!

4. Donuts

chocolate, cream
Spoon Csu

Yes, we agree. Those Krispy Kreme OG glazed donuts are the queen bees of donuts. But have you ever tried covering them in chocolate? 

5. Marshmallows

chocolate, candy, sweet, cream, milk, cake, truffle, goody
Hailey Tom

Grab your friends and host a campfire...because chocolate covered marshmallows are the next big thing. We're not drooling, you're drooling.

However you choose to enjoy this holiday... enjoy!