Ever since the craze began in 2010, people have been constantly experimenting with ingredients for the perfect avocado toast. Avocado toast can be topped with anything from lox to pickled onions to apricots. The problem is, some of these ingredients can make you feel dull and heavy, especially in the summer heat.

While avocados are grown year-round, their prime harvest season is in summer, which means it's the best time of year to eat them. It's time to learn about some more summery ingredients to spice up your toast. 

1. Pineapple

The sweet flavor of the pineapple cuts right through the creaminess of the avocado to add a bright flavor to your morning. A squeeze of lime juice will brighten the dish even more. Bonus points if you grill the pineapple, which helps bring out the sweetness.

#SpoonTip: Be careful while cutting a pineapple. If you have never done it before, check out this how-to guide.

2. Pomegranate Seeds

This toast not only looks pretty but is the perfect balance of flavor. The richness of the avocado balances out the sourness of the pomegranate. It will definitely scream summer. 

3. Cucumber and Red Pepper Flakes

Putting a few cucumber slices on top of your avo toast will not only add a crunchy bite. Cucumbers are full of fiber and vitamin K (for healthy bones). Cucumber is also super hydrating, which is helpful, especially during the summer months. 

#SpoonTip: To give this toast a hint of heat sprinkle red pepper flakes over the top. 

4. Strawberries

Strawberries are by far my favorite fruit, and their peak season is April through June. They will add sweetness as well as tang to your toast. 

#SpoonTip: Be sure to top off this toast with honey to amp up the sweetness.

5. Lemon Zest

Zesting a lemon goes one step above simply squeezing lemon juice into your avocado spread. The zest of a lemon holds the essential oils of the lemon (pure lemon flavor), as opposed to the acidic tang that lemon juice is known for. Pair it with fresh basil and cayenne pepper for added flavor. This light and bright toast is perfect for a quick snack on-the-go.

6. Pico de Gallo

Who said pico only belongs on chips? Adding pico to your avocado toast creates an instant fiesta in your mouth. It's also a valid excuse to eat even more fresh salsa this summer. Sprinkle on some fresh cilantro if you are feeling bougie.

7. Shrimp

If you want to put a little more effort into your toast and make it heartier, add shrimp. It’s still a light option that is perfect for summer. Shrimp also gives you the chance to play with different flavor combinations. I like to  prepare my shrimp by squeezing in half a lime, tossing in some salt, throwing it in the oven, and calling it a day. 

8. Mango

Another sweet way to spice up your avocado toast is with mangos. It’s a fun way to incorporate a fruit most of us tend to avoid in the grocery store. Mangos can help give you clearer skin, healthier libido, and help decrease your risk of heat stroke. This health powerhouse is in season right now so it's the ideal time to stock up.

#SpoonTip: Throw a little paprika or chili powder over the top for added smokiness to complete your toast.

9. Mint

Plenty of refreshing summer drinks include mint but rarely does it grace our toast.  Mint has one of the highest antioxidant capacities of any food. Mint is in season, so your local grocery store should be stocked. Or you can even grow it yourself.

10. Chia Seeds

Sprinkle some chia on top of any of the toasts for some added health benefits. These tiny but mighty seeds are jam-packed full of antioxidants and omega- 3 fatty acids to help you get some extra nutrients when you’re out and about all summer.

Avocado toast should never be boring. Try a new combo that's bursting with summer flavor and will keep you munching in the sun.