As we all know, many artists and writers have walked the streets of Paris. It is a city rich in culture, and a central part of Parisian culture are the Parisian cafes. Many of these artists have spent their days sitting in these cafés, forming inspirations, and getting their creative juices flowing. So, if you ever visit Paris and happen to be in a creative rut, hit up a café — but not just any café, make it one of the cafés where great minds have done their work. 

Therefore, I decided to give you a general round up or guide of these the haunts of these famous thinkers. So, if you are in a creative dilemma or just happen to be a huge fan of Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Chanel, and more, then keep on reading! 

Café de Flore 

172 Boulevard Saint-Germain, 75006 Paris, France

Cafe de Flore was a popular place for the Lost Generation to hang out. Artists like Pablo Picasso and Hemingway often came here to join in on long conversations. Now, they are one of the oldest cafes in Paris and known for their signature drink: hot chocolate. Let me tell you, it is divine. It's probably the richest chocolate I've ever tasted. Although I must say the prices are a little steep, I definitely think it's worth the visit if you want to treat yourself one day! 

La Closerie de Lilas 

171 Boulevard du Montparnasse, 75006 Paris, France

If you are a Hemingway fan, look no further for this is the café. Hemingway and Fitzgerald were frequent visitors to this flower-gilded hideout tucked away from the busy streets of Paris. In fact, this was the cafe where Hemingway read Fitzgerald's infamous novel The Great Gatsby for the first time. When visiting the cafe, you can also find the seat where Hemingway sat often when he dropped in. It literally screams Hemingway since his name is on a plaque on his seat and a dish named after him is on the menu

Angelina 

226 Rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris, France

Designers like Coco Chanel and writer Marcel Proust often enjoyed their time in Angelina. The original tea house is located right across from the beautiful Tuileries Garden. They are also known for their hot chocolate, but also for their cookies and tea. However, I must warn you of the crazy wait for this hotspot. The lines are quite long during lunch time, so try to make a visit at an off-hour if it's open. If you want a nice tea-time session, this is the place you need to go — It is just as bougie as Chanel was. 

Les Deux Magots

6 Place Saint-Germain des Prés, 75006 Paris, France

Literally right across the street from Cafe de Flore (yup, they are rivals), this is another old café especially famous for the rendezvous of many intellectuals, writers, and artists. We have Hemingway, Sartre, Beauvoir, Picasso, and others taking their time in this lovely café. Although now it's a very touristy spot in Paris, it still has the timeless classic feel that brought these revolutionaries here. 

Café de la Rotonde

105 Boulevard du Montparnasse, 75006 Paris, France

This was the spot where all those artists and writers came together to discuss. Scott Fitzgerald, Dorothy Parker, Ernest Hemingway, T.S. Eliot, Gertrude Stein, and Picasso were frequent visitors. According to legend, Picasso would draw sketches in this cafe to sell in exchange for food in his time at Montmartre as a struggling artist.

There you have it! Five cafes that are hella rich in history for you to check out while you stroll away the days in Paris. Let's hope you can get some energy from Hemingway, Picasso, and the others while sipping on your hot chocolate. 

For more Parisian adventures and food spots, check out The 48-Hour Guide to Eating in Paris.