It’s a scientific fact that people love brunch. But, when you think of brunch, you probably only think of sunshine, mimosas, patios and breakfast foods on a weekend afternoon. And there are some great places in NYC to find just that if that’s what you choose, but I propose a new wave of brunching. This brunching involves bright lights zooming by your head, tacos and burritos for breakfast and a rooftop to dance the day away. If you’re wondering why drinks were left out, fear not, they’re highly encouraged.

Laser Tag

Photo courtesy of @datethiscity on Instagram

If normal brunch is too cliché for you, take a trip to Lazer Brunch. The name alone is an intrigue, but wait until you get there. From the same guys who brought Lazer Zoo, Lazer Brunch is an all-in-one laser tag, brunch, drinks and rooftop experience that happens about once a month during the summer season. Located at the already popular Hudson Terrace, one quick trip up the elevator transports you to the third-floor rooftop where drinks and treats await you. Under the sun, the retractable rooftop pulls back to allow you to soak up sun and drinks at the same time.

Laser Tag

Photo by Ashley Steinberg

So let’s tac-o-bout the eats. These are not your traditional brunch treats. Tres Carnes provides a quick stop for those who are too hungry or too eager to get started with their experience to wait for the kitchen’s goodies. Two types of meat and all the taco fixin’s await you.

If you have a bit more patience, or a table, the brunch also offers a somewhat more conventional brunch (or more like lunch) menu complete with burgers, wings, quesadillas, and, the most brunch-like, a breakfast burrito. The highlight of their choices, however, are the excellent thick-cut fries, with 2 dipping sauces. Ketchup and salsa.

Laser Tag

Photo by Ashley Steinberg

Drinks can be purchased at the bar, or through a bottle package. The packages being the more exciting of the two because they come complete with buckets of ice, mixers and sparklers for an extra bit of pop. But if you’re really looking to get in touch with your party side, and I’m guessing you are if you come here, go for the “shots.”

I know what you’re thinking – shots for brunch? Well, these aren’t your ordinary shots. A mixture of tequila and orange juice is jammed into a giant syringe that holds roughly the amount of one shot, but takes a bit more maneuvering to drink.

Laser Tag

Photo courtesy of @lazrbrunch on Instagram

And then there’s the real reason you come here – the LASER TAG. The second floor of the venue is decked out with blow up beams and smoke machines to create a 3,000 square foot laser tag arena. This is Lazer Brunch’s second year running, and this one is even bigger and better than the last. Members of staff sneak behind like ninjas to help you don a vest and each vest has a number that is displayed on screen so you can check your score when you’re done.

The beginning of the game is a bit confusing because there is no telling when you’re supposed to go, but once you get going, the fun really starts. There are places to hide, but it’s more fun to run around, surprising people and being surprised by those who are hiding or sneaking up behind you. Plus, all that running around helps burn off those drinks and eats.

#SpoonTip: The only thing that is better than laser tag alone is laser tag after a couple of mimosas – so have a couple of drinks before you get started.

Laser Tag

Photo by Ashley Steinberg

So to sum it up one more time, booze, brunch, laser tag. It’s an all day party and everyone’s invited. Stop living in the past and get thee to Lazer Brunch. You won’t regret it.

The next event takes place on Saturday, July 16 and goes from 1 PM to 8 PM.

Tickets are:

1 Entry + Game Ticket ($15): Entrance and a laser tag game for one person.
1 Entry + 1 Game + 1 Drink Ticket ($20): Entrance, a laser tag game, and one drink (i.e. a Mimosa, a Corona, a Vodka Soda etc…) for one person.
5 Entries + 5 Games Ticket ($60): Entrance for up to 5 people, and 5 laser tag games. Meaning 5 people can play 1 game each, or 2 people can play several games etc.

You can buy tickets here.