It’s pretty well known that April is both National Grilled Cheese Month and National Soft Pretzel Month, but I’m here to share those unknown food appreciation days during April – and where to celebrate (or snag pics for your Insta).

April 23: National Picnic Day

holidays

Photo by Jason Jonathan

Picnic Day is also not a food holiday (wow this title was misleading, you say) but picnicking does revolve around yummy foods. Some perfect picnic snacks include PB&Js, this delicious salad, one of these trail mix recipes and this yummy punch. Just grab a blanket and head out onto the quad (on the off-chance that it’s not blizzarding this April) for some noshing.

April 26: Hot Pretzels, The Belmont Cafe

holidays

Photo by Abigail Wilkins

Maybe it’s the convenient location. Maybe it’s the mad cheese sauce. There is no competition in my mind. The BEST hot pretzel in the city comes from The Belmont Café. Located just feet away from the red line Belmont stop and open super late, the Belmont Café is perfect for late night eats, too. The hot pretzel comes in half or full. They’re both huge portions, but I promise you’ll finish it!

April 28: Blueberry Pie, Bang Bang Pie and Biscuits

holidays

Photo by Kristin Brennan

Technically the Triple Berry Jam pie at Bang Bang Pie does not only have blueberries, but if you’re gonna have pie in Chicago that’s not made in your dorm room, it better be from Bang Bang (or Hoosier Mama Pie Company – they don’t have a blueberry pie either, but the Sugar Cream Pie is to die for).

April 30: Raisins, BAKE

holidays

Photo by Kristine Mahan

To end April with a bang, we celebrate National Raisin Day on the 30th. The most exciting food on the list, finding the right place to celebrate this tremendous day was tough. But first, a little raisin history: in most traditions, raisins are especially popular around Halloween, where only the best costumes are rewarded with delicious raisins.

Raisins are often referred to as “better grapes,” which is why Kellogg’s Raisin Bran decided to forego their previous cereal: Grape Bran. But, back to where to savor these exquisite delicacies. At BAKE, there are not only raisins in their oatmeal cookies, but also GOLDEN raisins (a true treasure) in their award-winning scones.

holidays

Photo courtesy of someecards.com