Greensboro is a North Carolinian city where its southern charm attracts families and its new, growing downtown area attracts young adults and college students. The restaurants are well-known and attract many visitors from other parts of North Carolina and beyond.

If you want to truly experience Greensboro, you’ve got to hit up the food scene. From old favorites like Smith Street Diner, to new pop-ups like Crafted, there is a place for every taste bud in this NC town.

So here are, in no particular order, some of the best restaurants Greensboro has to offer.

1. Crafted – Art of the Taco

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @foodwineeverythingfine on Instagram

This restaurant is new to the Greensboro scene, but it has been packed everyday since its opening. Crafted has a variety of tacos with interesting flavor combinations,  each one of their tacos is unique and delicious.

I’ve learned not to talk during the first 5 minutes of eating these tacos, they are so good they need all of your attention. #SpoonTip: do yourself a favor and get a Big Truck taco with pulled pork, mac and cheese, onions, scallions, and bacon BBQ sauce.

2. Maxie B’s

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @maxiebsbakery on Instagram

Just walking into this place makes you feel at home with their beautiful decor and decadent cakes. Maxie B’s specializes in cakes, cupcakes, and other baked goods.

Its cupcakes flavors change depending on the holiday or season. If you are planning on trying this soon, try one of their Guinness or Bailey cupcakes. It will be sure to get you in the St. Patty’s Day spirit… Then go home and make yourself a Bailey’s cocktail to top off the day.

3. Smith Street Diner

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @withthelocals on Instagram

Smith Street Diner is the definition of southern hospitality. If you want some classic breakfast food where the staff will call you “sweetie”, this is the place for you. This restaurant offers a variety of country style cooked dishes.

If you aren’t a true southerner and want to get the full southern feel, order the biscuits and gravy with sweet tea, of course.

4. Iron Hen Cafe

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @nc_eatz on Instagram

Eating at the Iron Hen makes you feel almost philanthropic, their food is all organic and locally-sourced.

They have pancakes made with buckwheat from a local mill, delicious omelets and scrambles (which will definitely cure your Saturday morning hangover), and a large variety of espresso and tea drinks.

5. Yum Yums Better Ice Cream and Hot Dogs

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @imthebirdie on Instagram

Whether you are an every weekend regular or a hungry college student, Yum Yums is the place for hot dogs and ice cream. Ask anyone in the area for an old school Greensboro restaurant and they’ll point you in this direction.

This place has been open since 1906 and has stuck around as a classic G’Boro hang out spot. Ask for a Carolina dog all-the-way and for a scoop [or two] of their many ice cream flavors.

6. Hops Burger Bar

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @andrewcarawan on Instagram

This place was awarded #1 Most Delectable Burger Joint in America by TripAdvisor. If that doesn’t convince you just how epic this food is, their ten different types of fries will.

Go for the Hops Classic or the North Carolinian (if you really want to get the NC feel), add in some of their garlic and rosemary fries, choose from their huge list of craft beers and you are good to go.

7. Cheesecakes by Alex

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @bernieeemac on Instagram

Cheesecake… Dipped in chocolate… On a stick… Will be one of the best things you’ve ever put in your mouth.

With twenty-two cheesecake flavors, one is bound to find a flavor they love. From Creme Brûlée (a personal favorite) to Chocolate Brownie Turtle, these cheesecakes taste just as impressive as they look.

8. Dames Chicken and Waffles

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @claireefox on Instagram

You can’t pay a visit to the south without having some soul-food, Dames is the place to get it. If you are new to the chicken and waffles flavor combination, Dames has a variety of waffle types, chicken and spreads; you’ll certainly find a combination that you like.

Try the Carolina Cockerel, a favorite of both mine and Dames; three chicken wings on a blueberry waffle topped with peach and apricot shmear.

9. Emma Keys

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @hunterchurch on Instagram

Just look at that beautiful burger; it’s called “Everything but the Kitchen Sink”, which seems pretty accurate.

In what used to be a 1950’s barber shop, Emma Keys serves both incredible burgers and fries. Their food is influenced from different parts of the south and their small staff is always friendly.

10. Green Valley Grill

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @deliziousvita on Instagram

Birthday dinner? Girls Night Out? Just need a few cocktails? Green Valley is perfect for any occasion. It offers a neat fusion of southern food and a modern, upscale twist.

It is connected to and located right beside the O. Henry Hotel where, if you’re feeling fancy, you can stop by for a cup of tea or two.

11. Jams Deli

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @jamsdeli on Instagram

To this day, I am not sure how Jams Deli makes their food taste so good. They offer up the usual deli selections, but they really bring out the flavors in each dish on a new level.

Their Philly Cheesesteak may as well have been shipped in from Philly. Add in some curly fries and a Cheerwine, you’re set to go.

12. Sticks and Stones Clay Oven Pizza

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @churryburry on Instagram

You really can’t go wrong with any of Sticks and Stones’ clay oven-baked pizzas. The crust is a mix of chewy and crunchy, the toppings are fresh, there are tons of craft beer choices and the atmosphere is very warm and inviting.

Go with some friends and test a few of their classics out. You won’t be disappointed.

13. Pastabilities

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @athlete_palate on Instagram

You may drive right past this place as you are heading down one of Greensboro’s busiest roads, but locals know this place as a Greensboro staple. Tucked away among various shops, this restaurant offers a wide-variety of salads, soups, burgers and of course, pastas.

Here you’ll find families, couples, birthday parties, or even high school sport teams eating before or after a game. Given the name, you have to try one of their pasta dishes.

14. Lindley Park Filling Station

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @eat.and.repeat on Instagram

Lindley Park Filling Station is a perfect spot to meet up with friends, family, or co-workers. Their food is fresh, colorful and really, really delicious. Their sandwiches and wraps are all named after neighborhoods in Greensboro, adding a personal touch to the menu.

My favorites are the Beechwood wrap and the Pinecrest burger, the flavor blends are amazing so prepare yourself.

15. Natty Greene’s Pub and Brewing

greensboro

Photo courtesy of @gso.eats on Instagram

This is the type of place where you go grab a huge club sandwich, a locally-brewed beer, and sit down to watch the big college basketball rivalry game. A local sport’s pub with a twist.

Natty Greene’s puts a lot of creativity into their food and craft beers. When you stop by, be sure to try one of their sandwiches. Located in downtown Greensboro, you can sit outside, people watch, and simply relax during your meal.

Most people are making their way to the mountains or the beach while travelling through North Carolina, but after reading this list I hope you’ll make a pit stop in Greensboro to try one (or all) of these places. There are so many various restaurants in this eclectic town, each of them unique and very, very delicious.