One of the best parts of summer is being outside all the time and soaking up sun. But getting in and out of a pool all day, struggling with sunscreen and sunburns, running around and sweating doesn’t always leave your skin looking and feeling the way you want it to.

I’ve put together this list of foods that can naturally help you keep your body’s largest organ healthy and happy, so you can hit the beach without worrying that you’ll damage your skin.

1. Dark Chocolate

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Who says chocolate isn’t good for you? Dark chocolate boasts many health benefits—it has been known to prevent heart disease and act as an anti-depressant. It also does wonders for your skin. The flavonoids in chocolate help absorb UV light and so leave your skin hydrated and healthy. Make some dark chocolate and avocado truffles to simultaneously indulge your taste buds and protect your complexion.

2. Pomegranates

Photo by Dina Zaret

As if it weren’t enough that pomegranates are delicious, refreshing, and juicy snacks that pack in serious brain power, this super fruit also has skincare benefits. Pomegranates contain antioxidants that help reduce swelling and inflammation that result in a glowing complexion and clear skin.

3. Oysters

Photo by Rachel Labbare

Feeling fancy is no excuse to let your skin suffer. Why not kill two birds with one stone and take care of your skin while out having a good time? Oysters contain skin-clearing nutrients and vitamins (such as zinc and Vitamin A) that leave your tummy as happy as your face is fresh.

4. Chickpeas

Photo by Kirby Barth

Chickpeas and other legumes are excellent sources of protein and energy, which helps firm up and ensure that your skin is radiant and clear. Add chickpeas to your diet with yummy hummus or these delicious roasted chickpeas.

5. Green Tea

Photo by Ana Cvetkovik

Green tea has, since ancient times, been used in traditional Chinese medicine as a remedy for indigestion and an agent against toxins in the body, but recently, the rest of the world has become attuned to its healthy skin benefits.

Having a glass of green tea before bed has been known to help boost metabolism, and green tea anti-depressant properties have also been researched in coming years. Its tannic acid and theobromine neutralize UV effects and helps lessen sunburns.

6. Nuts

Photo by Yonatan Soler

Nuts, particularly almonds and walnuts, contain a healthy amount of healthy fatty acids and vitamins. Vitamin E is a major component of nuts, and also a major component in protecting your skin from the sun. Try these almond butter energy balls to get your daily fix of protein and Vitamin E.

7. Fennel

Photo by Bri Jones

Fennel is a delicious root vegetable, and one that is available all year round. It’s bee known to reduce swelling, expel toxins from the body, and help flush out excess fluids from the body—which are all properties that no doubt help clear up your skin.

8. Sweet Potato

Photo by Morgan Chase

In the potato family, obviously sweet potatoes are the best: they’re sweet, hearty, and healthy. But did you know that vitamins in sweet potatoes can help reduce stress? And reduced stress is good news for your face.

9. Orange Juice

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

While orange juice can contain a lot of sugar, drinking moderate quantities of it has healing effects on the body. Vitamin C helps to protect your skin from both environmental damage and from toxins within the body, and orange juice has a lot of Vitamin C.