Let’s be serious: any week after the third week in September is basically midterm season. When I’m stressed and have been working my brain a little too much, I need two things. 1) To do some kind of activity that doesn’t involve brainpower. 2) To eat snacks. Pomegranates are the magical solutions to both of those needs. Although fresh pomegranates can definitely be intimidating to open the first time you try, you will get the hang of it and it’s so so worth it. Why? Because cutting open and getting out the seeds becomes incredibly rhythmic and relaxing.

Word on the street is that pomegranates help prevent heart disease and cancer. Also, since late fall/winter is peak pomegranate season, act now.  Here are some easy steps to help you along on your journey towards the best study break and snack ever:

P.S. Eating the entire pomegranate in one go (as I tend to) is more than acceptable.

The Ultimate Study Aid: Pomegranates

Photo by Dina Zaret

Step 1: Put on a dark colored shirt. The white t-shirt rookie mistake can easily make you look like a murderer. Since Halloween is over, let’s try to avoid that.

Step 2: Wash the pomegranate, cut a circle around the top of it, peel off that circle, and cut slits down the sides. You’ll see places where the fruit looks like it’ll easily section off. Try to cut there to make this as simple as possible.

The Ultimate Study Aid: Pomegranates

Photo by Dina Zaret

Step 3: Pull each section back and start de-seeding! Instead of pulling each seed off individually, try kinda pushing them off. It’s hard to explain but once you try it you’ll get it.

The Ultimate Study Aid: Pomegranates

Photo by Dina Zaret

Step 4: Eat, lower your blood pressure, prevent cancer, feel rejuvenated, snack endlessly, pass your midterms, etc.

The Ultimate Study Aid: Pomegranates

Photo by Dina Zaret