Being on a budget isn’t difficult to do if you’re vegan. However, like many of you, Whole Foods is my go-to store because being vegan usually goes hand in hand with loving organic food. There are many ways to be a savvy shopper, even at Whole Foods. It will just require you to know the tricks of the trade. Follow these 5 Ways To Hack Whole Foods and you’ll be able to save yourself a couple extra dollars (and every cent counts, right?).

Photo courtesy of Whole Foods

After following my advice above, I headed to my local Whole Foods to try to pick a lunch menu to add up to $15 (under $15 and I’ll consider myself and overachiever). One cheat is I didn’t include kitchen staples (ie. spices, oils & condiments) hoping we all have them lying around somewhere. Walking into the store, I already knew what was on sale and had a plan. I crafted my week’s worth of lunches to be easy, healthy and pack-able to bring to work with me.

Grocery List

• 1 banana: $.20
  • 1 bunch of kale: $2.50
  • 1 box of (365 brand) whole wheat pasta: $1.30
  • 2 avocados: 1.98 (.99 cents each)
  • 1 loaf whole wheat bread: $.69 (after $1 off coupon)
  • 1 (16 oz can) white beans: $.65
  • 3 tomatoes: $3
  • 1 zucchini: $.89
  • 1 seedless cucumber: $.65
  • 1 sweet potato: $1
  • 1 bunch of basil: $1.20

Total: $14.76 (minus the 20 cents I saved from bringing two reusable bags)

With just $15 and a trip to Whole Foods, you can make these 5 ridiculously easy vegan lunches. Yes, this is for real and not a drill.

Monday: Kale Salad with Homemade Croutons

vegan lunches

Photo by Anna Ciambrone

Nothing is more refreshing than a simple salad on a hot summer day. Carb-lovers can rejoice over these recipes of a variety of homemade croutons – they are tastier & healthier than store-bought options. Find the recipe here.

Tuesday: Stuffed Sweet Potato with Sauteed Kale & White Beans

Photo courtesy of

This recipe is sweet, filling & downright tasty. This dish provides lots of nutrients and is a good base to use substitutes as well if you have other produce on hand (ie. chard, spinach, collard). Learn how to make different kinds of stuffed sweet potatoes here.

Wednesday: Pasta Salad with Tomato, Basil & EVOO

Photo by Abigail Wang

This is a one pot meal, it couldn’t be easier or more tasty. Learn how to make it here.

Thursday: Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwich

vegan lunches

Photo by Anna Ciambrone

Peanut butter and banana- it really IS that simple. But here is a recipe for all you nervous cooks out there. If you want to venture outside of two slices of bread, here are nine more ways to eat peanut butter and banana.

Friday: Zucchini Noodles with Creamy Avocado Pesto

vegan lunches

Photo by Anna Ciambrone

This recipe is the perfect summer meal. It’s healthy, fresh, filling, healthy & quick. Plus, the best part is you really feel like you’re eating a big bowl of carbs (and who isn’t happy about that). Learn how here.

vegan lunches

Photo Courtesy of Anna Ciambrone