Do you ever want to take mac and cheese and eat it with your hands? Well, now you can. On this episode of Greg’s College Kitchen, Greg shows you how to make mac and cheese fritters courtesy of Eva Reynolds.

Easy

Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 5-6 minutes
Total Time: about 30 minutes

Servings: 4

1 cup uncooked macaroni
1½ tablespoons butter
½ onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
4 tablespoons flour
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg, lightly beaten
Oil (any with a medium smoke point, such as canola)

Directions:
1. Prepare pasta according to package instructions.
2. As the pasta boils, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add onion and garlic powder and cook over medium-low heat until onion is soft, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low and add one tablespoon of flour, stirring constantly for one minute.
4. Stir in milk.
5. Once the mixture takes on a thicker, gravy-like texture, stir in the nutmeg, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese.
6. Once the cheese melts, remove the saucepan from heat and mix in the pasta. Allow mixture to cool for a few minutes.
7. Mix in the remaining flour and egg.
8. Pour just enough oil into a frying pan to cover the base. Heat on medium-high, allowing a minute or two for the oil to get hot before spooning a dollop of the pasta mixture into the pan.
9. Spoon a dollop of pasta mixture into the pan and flatten it to desired fritter size.
10. Cook for about 3 minutes or however long it takes one side to brown. Flip and fry for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer fritter to a paper towel—covered plate and repeat the process to fry the rest of the mixture.

For more mac and cheese, check out these articles: