Making avocado toast, sans toast, may seem impossible. Wouldn’t avocado toast without the toast just be…avocado? If you’re gluten-free, or trying to be healthy, or even just bored of your average avocado toast snack, you’ve still got options.

Here are six different ways you can make avocado toast without any toast involved. Because, hey, we all know the bread is just a vehicle to get to the avocado anyway.

Rice Cakes

avocado toast

Photo by Sydney Emerson

Rice cakes are my go-to bread substitute. If you’re not looking to fire up the oven, or if just the thought of getting out the cutting board exhausts you, just throw your avocado mash on top of a rice cake or two, and you have yourself two-second toastless toast. Who needs bread?

Sweet Potato

avocado toast

Photo by Sean Koetting

This one is by far my favorite. It’s not as fast as rice cakes, but it’s just as easy. Just cut two slices of sweet potato to your desired thickness and throw them in the oven at 400°F. In 25 minutes, you have the new base for your avocado toast. And the rest of your sweet potato? Try whipping up some sweet potato gnocchi for a show-stopping dinner.

Tomatoes

avocado toast

Photo by Daisy Dolan

Tomatoes make great toast toppings but even better bottoms. All you need to do is horizontally slice a tomato in half, seed both ends, and you’re left with the perfect pockets to hold that healthy fat. Double the freshness, double the fun. If you cut up too many tomatoes, stuff them with this easy spinach and quinoa filling.

Go Raw Sprouted Pumpkin Seed Bar

avocado toast

Photo by Sydney Emerson

Very specific, I know, but I’ve tried a bunch of different bars and this is definitely the best one for avocado toast. Its’ grainy, seedy flavor somehow manages to remain gluten free, making it the perfect candidate for your toastless toast. This is another low-maintenance option – just unwrap the bar, smear it with avo, and add the seasonings of your choice.

Eggplant

avocado toast

Photo courtesy of popsugar.com

Eggplant holds endless opportunity for your avocado toast. You can grill it, bake it, sauté it, even stick it in the toaster. Whatever way you like best, it will not disappoint as a vehicle for your avocado. Because it has such a mild flavor, it’s the perfect vehicle for a highly flavored avo spread – think garlic powder, lemon juice, crushed red peppers or a combo of all three.

Zucchini

avocado toast

Photo by Kirby Barth

No, this is not a recipe for gluten-free zucchini bread that requires ten trips to the grocery story for obscure ingredients (wtf is psyllium husk powder anyway???). All you have to do is slice your zucchini, drizzle a little coconut oil on top, sprinkle with sea salt, and toss in the oven at 350°F for fifteen minutes. Afterward, let cool and dump generous amounts of avocado on top. YUM.