Much like wardrobes, tan lines, and levels of motivation, produce operates on a seasonal basis. Of course, we’d all like to eat pineapple and watermelon 12 months out of the year, but doing so is simply unreasonable.

There are many benefits to eating seasonally you can read about here if you aren’t already convinced that it actually tastes better. Among the list are two standout reasons to buy seasonal produce:

1. It decreases your carbon footprint (bragging point)

2. It saves you money (look, Dad, I’m budgeting!)

So bid farewell to your overpriced strawberries (for now) and get on board with the very trendy and current veggies that want your attention this winter. PopSugar published this handy guide to seasonal eating to keep you on track and keep your pantry #relevant.

Stock up on some kale and pomegranate seeds and pat yourself on the back. Then, use these nine inventive recipes to incorporate winter fruits and veggies in ways you’d never guess.

1. Pumpkin-Spiced Brussels Sprouts

seasonally

Photo by Florence Ma

In all due respect to the ever-coveted pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin spice has found its true purpose.

2. Sweet Potato, Kale, and Chickpea Bowl

seasonally

Photo by Megan Prendergast

With sweet potato AND kale, you’re using two seasonal veggies at once. That’s #productive.

3. Broccoli Stem and Feta Hummus

seasonally

Photo by Becky Hughes

Sure, you might have to explain to your friends/roommates/guests why oyour hummus is green, but once they take a dip, they’ll understand broccoli’s seasonal magic.

4. Carrot Fries

seasonally

Photo by Nick Schmidt

No carbs, but infinite satisfaction. Plus, they’re so easily customized. Sprinkle them with any spice that speaks to you: cumin, oregano, paprika… the opportunities are endless.

5. Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Bark

seasonally

Photo courtesy of @thelifestylenotebook on Instagram

The perfect excuse to eat chocolate, ’cause it’s still fruit, right? Step aside, POM juice, the pomegranate seed has found a new calling. Check out this tutorial for the best way to seed a pomegranate.

6. Roasted Cabbage Steaks

seasonally

Photo courtesy of @ciregroup on Instagram

You’ve seen it done with cauliflower and now it’s cabbage’s turn. Veggie steaks are all the rage whether you’re a meat-lover or not. So easy, so healthy, SO seasonal.

7. Baked Rosemary Beet Chips

seasonally

Photo courtesy of minimalistbaker.com

The poor, innocent beet is so often overlooked as gross and slimy. But there’s literally no excuse to pass it up when it’s baked with rosemary and sea salt into a crunchy snack. Sorry, Dr. Dre, looks like your beats aren’t the only ones on the table anymore.

8. Kale Panini

seasonally

Photo By Tarika Narain

Now that it’s 2016, the novelty of kale chips is maybe not the biggest talk of the town. But a panini stuffed with kale, basil, and cheddar is definitely worth putting into your Snapchat story.

9. Citrus Fennel and Avocado Salad

seasonally

Photo courtesy of foodiecrush.com

Grapefruit, oranges, lemons, blood oranges… as long as it’s citrus, it’s in season! So long, iceberg lettuce, we’ve moved on. New to salads? Learn how to make the perfect ensemble with this step-by-step tutorial.