Everyone gets a little homesick at University from time to time, particularly during those stressful deadline weeks and exam season. For those of us studying abroad, however, that homesickness is only made worse as we are apart from some of our favourite comfort foods that the UK definitely does best.

1. Fish and Chips

abroad

Photo by Savannah Carter

Fish and Chips is clearly the most popular takeaway meal for British people, as according to the National Federation of Fish Fryers, there are around 10,500 specialist fish and chip shops in the UK while in comparison McDonald’s has only 1,200 outlets, and KFC has a measly 350.

2. Real Ale

abroad

Photo by Adam H. Weiss

Although not technically a food, real ale is a pub staple in Britain. There is even a campaign group that has been promoting real ale, pubs & drinkers’ rights since 1971. While it is true that beer is enjoyed globally, I don’t think that any other country is as passionate about good quality ale and traditional pub culture as we are in the UK.

3. Bacon Sandwiches

abroad

Photo by Christin Urso

Whether you call it a sandwich, sarnie, or butty, there is no denying that this is a guilty pleasure for many of us. However, don’t expect to be able to recreate it easily when abroad. Pork products are impossible to find in many countries such as Dubai, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt due to Islamic beliefs. Even in the USA, where bacon is extremely popular, they have it all wrong. The superior British bacon is a meatier, thicker and overall more delicious cut of meat.

4. Marmite

abroad

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Whether you love it or you hate it – and that is a debate in itself – there is no doubt that Marmite is the most quintessentially British toast topping around. Click here to find out 7 ways of eating marmite that don’t suck.

5. Delicacies From the Local Bakery

abroad

Photo courtesy of @mcgregor_ewan on Instagram

Everyone loves indulging on freshly made pies and cakes. Even the world-famous actor, Ewan McGregor, cannot resist the nostalgia of the treats he grew up with when he visits his hometown.

6. A Proper Cup of Tea

abroad

Photo by Jason Cruz

While both loose leaf tea and teabags are widely available in many countries, nobody quite knows how to do it like the British. We even have actual instructions on how to make a proper cup of tea. To read more about the awesome health benefits of drinking tea, click here.

7. Sunday Roast

abroad

Photo by Amanda Shulman

Arguably the best meal of the week, the traditional Sunday roast is so much more than just delicious food, it is also a time for friends and family to relax together. To find out how to roast the perfect veggies to have at your next Sunday lunch, click here.

8. Sticky Toffee Pudding

abroad

Photo by Tiffany Chen

Often found on the dessert menu of British pubs and restaurants, it consists of a sweet and sticky date sponge, drenched in rich toffee sauce, and served with ice cream. Indulgence simply doesn’t get any better than this.

9. Scotch Eggs

abroad

Photo courtesy of @Waitrose on Instagram

One of the key components of a summertime picnic, this delicious snack is available everywhere, from corner shops at supermarkets to the menus of traditional pubs in Britain. However, the rest of the world is yet to catch on to this delicious deep-fried snack.

10. Cornish Pasties

abroad

Photo courtesy of playbuzz.com

This list would not be complete without mentioning the Cornish pasty. The pasty is considered such a national treasure that, since 2011, it has held Protected Geographical Indication status, meaning that in order for a pasty to be legally called a Cornish pasty, it has to be made in Cornwall according to the traditional method.

11. Beans on Toast

abroad

Photo courtesy of @amysfood on Instagram

Despite being a staple in the diets of many Brits, beans on toast doesn’t have the same appeal overseas. Watch some confused Americans try it for the first time here.

12. Haggis

abroad

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Haggis is arguably the dish that Scotland is most famous for. However, since authentic haggis is banned in the USA, don’t expect to find the genuine stuff there on your travels.

13. Fry-up

abroad

Photo courtesy of @oliverschaller on Instagram

Almost every Brit would agree that the perfect hangover cure is a fry-up the morning after. Comprising of any combination of eggs, bacon, mushrooms, sausages, grilled tomatoes, baked beans, toast, as well as other regional favorites, you would be hard pushed to find an equivalent just as delicious elsewhere. To recreate this at home, click here.

14. McDonalds Milkshakes

abroad

Photo courtesy of @mcdonalds on Instagram

Despite the fact that McDonald’s is an international brand, it may be surprising that certain menu items, including their milkshakes, are not available everywhere. For example, there has recently been a huge expat campaign in Dubai to get McDonald’s to sell milkshakes there, but so far it has been unsuccessful.