This kitchen trick is brought to you by my grandma! I first learned this quick way to core whole heads of lettuce while watching my grandma cook during summer visits to her home. This technique is by no means quiet, but it is definitely fast. So channel your inner-granny and maybe release some pent up rage with this crazy kitchen tip to core a head of lettuce.

Easy

Total Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients: a head of lettuce

1. Clear a clean, clutter free workspace.
2. Hold the lettuce firmly in two hands so that the core is nearest to the work surface.

How to Quickly Core a Head of Lettuce

Photo by Hannah Fullmer

3. Forcefully, slam the lettuce head down onto the work surface and push. As you do this you should feel the core of the lettuce press up further into the lettuce head.

How to Quickly Core a Head of Lettuce

Photo by Hannah Fullmer

4. Now flip the head of lettuce over and pull out the core. If the core cannot be removed don’t worry; you can repeat step three as many times as necessary. After some practice, you’ll soon be able to remove the core after just one or two well-placed lettuce body slams.

How to Quickly Core a Head of Lettuce

Photo by Hannah Fullmer

Voila! A completely core-less head of lettuce is (almost!) ready to use. Wash the head of lettuce and peel back its outer most layer to insure that you have fresh, crispy, and clean lettuce to work with. Now if my grandma was here, she’d say it’s time to make some sandwiches.

How to Quickly Core a Head of Lettuce

Photo by Hannah Fullmer