So at this point, it’s safe to say that the fresh juice trend is NOT going away. And for good reason. Fresh juice can deliver a powerful punch of vitamins and nutrients, and a bottle of juice can make for a perfectly reasonable on-the-go breakfast when you’re late for that 8AM class.

French press

For many college students (myself included), the major offset to hopping on the juice train is the price. A bottle of fresh juice can cost around $8, and even the cheapest juicers come in around $40, with fancy ones costing upwards of $2000. When it comes down to tuition or juice, sometimes you’ve got to make a judgment call.

French press

Sure, you can use a pair of clean pantyhose to get your juice fix, but I find it a LOT easier to use a french press. If you don’t have a french press already, you should probably go get one, for not only this (and other) juice recipes but also for a serious upgrade to your daily cup. But for right now, all you need to know is that it’s a pretty good way to squish and strain things.

French press

For this article, I made a watermelon juice with basil and lime, but you can adapt this method to any kind of juice that your heart desires. However, depending on the fruits/veggies that you’re using, you may have to blend them beforehand. Happy juicing!

French Pressed Watermelon Juice

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:5 minutes
  • Servings:1 glass

• ~1 cup Fresh watermelon chunks
  • 3-4 Fresh basil leaves
  • 1 teaspoon lime juice
Photo by Morgan Nielsen.

Gather your ingredients and put everything together in the press.

Photo by Morgan Nielsen.

Use a whisk to squish up the watermelon and add some water (if necessary).

Press that shiz!

Gif by Morgan Nielsen.

Pour the pressed juice into a glass and enjoy!

Photo by Morgan Nielsen