Yes, you read the title right: deep fried tequila shots are a real thing. Our friends (or, people who are our friends now) at food blog Oh, Bite It! made these tasty treats so that you can continue drinking while satisfying your drunk munchies. And I figured, hey, I’ll take one for the team and test the recipe out—what would fried tequila taste like? Spoiler: pretty fantastic.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Servings: 4 (two squares per person)

Tequila (brand of your choice)
Canola or vegetable oil for frying
Angel food cake (bar is fine)

For decoration:
1 lime
Powdered sugar
Vanilla icing

15595629656_e8dae6d2fa_b
Photo by Natalie Choy

1. Pour two inches of oil into a pot. The temperature should be about 350 degrees, but if you don’t have a way to check temperature, just heat it on medium. While the oil is heating up, cube the angel food into bite-sized squares that you can pop into your mouth.

tequila shots

Photo by Natalie Choy

2. Dip the cubes in the tequila. The more tequila-y you want the flavor, the longer you should leave the cube in. If you’re looking for a strong flavor that (after a few) might get you tipsy, then fully immerse the cube in tequila.

tequila shots

Photo by Natalie Choy

3. Once the oil is hot, drop the tequila-dipped cubes into the pot. Fry them until they’re a golden brown on all sides.

tequila shots

Photo by Natalie Choy

4. Once browned, take the cubes out of the oil and let them dry on a paper towel.

tequila shots

Photo by Natalie Choy

5. For some tasty decor, spread the icing on the cubes and sprinkle some powdered sugar on top. Taking them to a party? Make them extra swanky by serving them in shot glasses with icing on the rims. Bonus: grate the lime and sprinkle the shavings on the icing.

Happy drinking eating!

Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?

tequila shots

Photo by Natalie Choy, Design by Amber Chen