If Paula Deen taught the world anything about cooking, it’s that butter makes everything taste better. Luckily, you can find all the flavor of real butter in a variety of vegan butter brands. This means even the most buttery of holiday classics and comfort foods can be made just as easily for people avoiding animal products or with dairy allergies. Here's a list of the six best vegan butters that taste like the real thing. 

1. Earth Balance

When it comes to versatility and availability, Earth Balance is the best vegan butter overall. Not only does it have a taste and texture that’s nearly identical butter, but it’s also one of the most common and affordable vegan butters you can find in grocery stores (even Kroger and Publix carry them).

Along with the original flavor, Earth Balance also comes in soy-free, organic whipped, olive oil, omega-3, and organic coconut spread. Earth Balance is my go-to butter, and I use it for everything from sautéing veggies to baking chocolate chip cookies.

2. I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter 

The second best vegan butter on this list is actually one of the newer to hit stores. Although some vegans may prefer to shop from exclusively vegan companies, having an established national brand release a vegan product only makes it easier for more people to have access. This means you can find the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter vegan spread in the dairy aisle next to their regular margarine.

Because it’s margarine-based, this vegan spread doesn't bake as well as butter. However, it works great for sauces and soups like this vegan cream of potato soup.

3. Miyoko's Kitchen

The third best vegan butter goes to the European Style Cultured Vegan Butter from Miyoko’s Kitchen. Miyoko’s Kitchen is a smaller company that specializes in vegan cheeses, so this is a product you will most likely only find in a Whole Foods or specialty grocers. It's also pricier than the previous two butters.

Not only is their butter dairy-free, but it’s also organic and free of palm oil. Instead, Miyoko uses coconut oil and cashews to give it a rich, buttery texture that even bakes well. Just look at how well it melts on waffles! 

4. WayFare Whipped

Wayfare Whipped takes fourth since it’s another butter that can only be found in specialty grocery stores. You’re likely to find them in Jewish delis or grocery stores because their products are certified vegan and Kosher pareve. WayFare was created by family of former dairy farmers who wanted to create a product that was better for the environment and their customers.

What makes WayFare Whipped worth the search is that its whipped texture makes it super spreadable, perfect for foods like corn on the cob. Plus it comes in sweet and savory flavors like garlic and cinnamon. 

5. Melt Organic

Melt Organic is another butter like Miyoko’s Kitchen that uses only organic and fair trade coconut oils as the primary ingredient in their butter. However, Melt not only has vegan spreads, but also “buttery sticks,” which are easier to bake with than spooning out spread.

Melt butters are also slightly easier to find than Miyoko’s butter. On the west coast, you can probably find them in grocery stores like Safeway, whereas on the east coast you should check Fresh Market and Whole Foods. Melt also has a few sweet flavors including chocolate and honey, but both are sweetened with honey so they're not 100% vegan. 

6. Nutiva Organic Buttery Coconut Oil

Last on the list is Nutiva’s Organic Buttery Coconut Oil, which is flavored coconut oil and not a vegan butter spread. However, it can spread and bake just like a butter spread. Along with being organic, it’s also non-gmo. Since it’s primarily coconut oil, it works best on low heat, especially when cooking popcorn on the stove or sauteing vegetables. Nutiva products can be found in most grocery stores, but you still may need to find a health-based grocery store to find the buttery coconut oil. 

Hungry for more buttery, baked goods but aren't sure how to make them vegan? Finding the best ways to use vegan butter is just one step in learning how make rich vegan comfort food. For more tips, check out these helpful baking tips, straight from a vegan pastry chef.