French fries are an American classic. Whether you're out to dinner with your best friends and you order the classic burger and fries, or you're at a nice restaurant, and you see truffle fries, and your mouth waters a little just reading it, there's no denying that french fries are a delicious staple. They come in all shapes, sizes, and levels of crunchiness, so it's no wonder that the health-conscious world of today has discovered other ingredients to make everyone's favorite food of today, french fries, just a little bit healthier. Spice up the fries you eat with these delicious healthier alternatives to french fries from taro to asparagus, whether you are trying to shift your diet or are just looking for something new and delicious!

1. Zucchini Fries

Zucchini fries are by far the best alternative to french fries. If you've ever had one of these crunchy, delicious babies that are soft at the center just like original potato french fries, you'd know that they are really the way to go when you're trying to get essential nutrients from green veggies but are still craving fries!

2. Beet Fries

While these babies are more chips than they are fries, traditional french fries come in all sorts of different shapes and sizes, so why shouldn't their alternatives?

3. Taro Fries

Taro is hands down the most underrated vegetable and alternative to potato. It has many vitamins and nutrients unlike the potato, which sadly doesn't have many. Taro also tastes similar to a potato, so this healthier alternative to french fries is for those who want something that feels almost identical!

4. Carrot Fries

Roasted carrots are very underrated, especially carrot fries. Bake them with salt and paprika and top them with some sriracha mayo and you have a deliciously nutritious (but spicy!) side dish to any meal. 

5. Parsnip Fries

I will be the first to admit that I am not particularly the biggest fan of parsnips in general. However, that does not stop me from loving parsnip fries because they taste exactly like french fries especially when dipped in BBQ sauce or ketchup!

6. Green Bean Fries

Everyone loves a nice crunchy green bean, especially when they're breaded, baked, and dipped in ranch. Just like a real french fry, but healthier.

7. Avocado Fries

If you haven't caught onto the avocado fry trend yet, you might be living under a rock. These babies have appeared on every trendy new restaurant menu and, trust me, they're worth the hype. The crunchy exterior combined with the soft avocado on the inside tastes like you're eating a cloud. 10/10 would recommend. 

8. Sweet Potato Fries

Sweet potato fries are the most common alternative to french fries, are on every menu, and are a fan favorite. Sweet potatoes are healthier than regular russet potatoes but have the same texture, so if you're not a fan of going too far outside the norm with your french fries, these are the healthier alternative for you.

9. Asparagus Fries

Cheese + breading + asparagus = party in your stomach. These baked "fries" are just what you need if you're trying to be healthy but still eat something that satisfies your cheese and fry cravings—all in one bite!

10. Chickpea Fries

Chickpea fries are a new hot fry trend on the restaurant scene, most commonly served fried with a spicy aioli or ranch. These fries will knock your socks off. Their crunchy exterior along with soft center and, the bonus, all the protein and healthy fats that are in chickpeas make these fries a winner in my book. 

11. Portobello Fries

While the texture of portobello fries is more chewy than crunchy like a regular french fry, these fries are delicious all on their own with their light and fluffy baked exterior and rich taste. 

12. Rutabaga Fries

Rutabaga is a root vegetable that is a cross between a cabbage and a turnip. These fries are rich in calcium and other essential nutrients and have a very similar texture to classic french fries.

13. Pumpkin Fries

Because it's fall, I thought I would end with these delicious seasonal fries. While not what you'd typically think of when the word french fry comes to mind, try these out to get into the fall and Thanksgiving spirit!

Regardless of whether you're trying to be healthier or are just looking for a different type of french fry to spice things up, one of these delicious alternatives could be the one for you. Cook them at home for a wine night in with friends or go out to a hot new restaurant that serves one of these innovative creations, and prepare to be mind-blown by a new delicious french fry experience!