Taro is a unique and versatile root. If you've ever seen taro, it's lumpy and round in shape, and when cut, it reveals a white core with flecks of vibrant purple streaks.

Although taro is better known as a popular bubble tea or frozen yogurt flavor and has been left out in most recipes, taro can be used in a variety of recipes as the root itself rather than just a mere flavor in a fun dessert. There is so much more to this purple starchy root than meets the eye. 

I will show you how to turn taro into a light and delicious snack, specifically, chips. This simple recipe will have you keeping taro in your diet, and it can finally get the recognition it deserves.

Taro Chips

• 1 medium sized taro root
  • 1 tablespoon warmed coconut oil
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
bread, chocolate
Shelby Cohron

Gather the ingredients and preheat oven to 400°F.

milk, cereal, flour, wheat, bread
    Shelby Cohron

Peel and cut taro root into thin slices. They should be about 1/4 inch in width. Combine salt and sugar in a small bowl to create seasoning mixture and then set aside.

flour, bread, wheat
    Shelby Cohron

Line a baking sheet with tin foil and brush the sheet with a thin layer of warmed coconut oil. Arrange taro slices flat to cover the entire sheet but do not overlap them. Brush another thin layer of coconut oil on top of slices and season generously with the salt and sugar mixture. Place tray in the oven for about 12-15 minutes. Watch carefully for browning edges and golden brown surfaces.

Shelby Cohron

After the allotted time, or when slices have become slightly golden brown, remove them from the oven. Chips are best served warm, and add any additional seasoning to taste. Get creative and pair the chips with hummus or salsa.

sweet, meat, bread
    Shelby Cohron