Before I tried this recipe, I didn't even like string beans. And if I don't eat them this way, I still don't like them. Adding a little oil, some salt and pepper, and a lot of heat transforms this average vegetable into something crunchy and full of flavor. And while we all want to call french fries a vegetable, these tasty roasted string beans actually are! 

One cup of 1/2 inch pieces or 100g of string beans is only 31 calories, so you get to eat a lot more of these guilt-free. They also provide a healthy eater with antioxidants such as vitamin C and beta-carotene, cardiovascular benefits, lots of fiber, and even prevention of type 2 diabetes. 

Since oil is a saturated fat, if you submerge your food in oil at a high temperature (which is frying), you add to the calorie count. Lucky for us, baking doesn't add these extra calories and fats to the foods. Any additional calories come only from the oil instead of the process by which you cook the food. The seasoning of the salt and pepper replace the flavor that fat imparts on deep-fried food.

This recipe is easy enough to make using your dorm's oven, but also delicious enough to serve as a healthy side dish for friends coming over for dinner. Enjoy!

Roasted String Beans

• 1 lb string beans
  • 1 1/2 - 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
vegetable, asparagus
Julia Rosenbaum

Preheat oven to 450°F.

In one bowl, toss string beans, olive oil, salt and pepper.

pasture, beans, legume, french beans, asparagus, vegetable
    Julia Rosenbaum

Cover the pan in tinfoil and spray it with PAM. Lay the string beans on the pan and spread them out.

samphire, french beans, legume, asparagus, vegetable
    Julia Rosenbaum

After 15 minutes of cooking, check on them and spread them around.

herb, samphire, asparagus, vegetable
    Julia Rosenbaum

When they are flattened and browned at the edges, they are ready for snacking and crunching on! They went very well with this brisket and Israeli Couscous.

risotto, sauce, rice, asparagus
    Julia Rosenbaum