Fries come in all shapes, sizes, and genetic makeup, so why not step out of your comfort zone (or drive thru), and learn how to make fries without using potatoes?

1. Bacon-Wrapped Sweet Potato Fries

make fries without using potatoes

Photo by Hui Lin

These are not your average sweet potato fries. Each sweet cut of starch is wrapped in a savory strip of bacon. There’s plenty of flavor packed into every bite, but there’s no shame in a dip or two of your favorite sauce. Why not use some classic barbecue or dijon? Why not both? This epic combo makes for the ultimate game day snack that tailgaters won’t be able to resist.

2. Asparagus Fries

make fries without using potatoes

Photo by MaryRachel Bulkeley

Try these asparagus fries to satisfy your crunchy cravings while still sneaking in a serving of greens. Coated in breadcrumbs and cheese, they remind me of cheesy broccoli casserole in a convenient, finger-friendly form.

3. Cinnamon Roll Donut Fries

make fries without using potatoes

Photo by Arden Sarner

Let’s be honest, cinnamon rolls and donuts are just another excuse for dessert for breakfast (not that I’m complaining). Now, they’re a collaborative side dish. They’re dangerously easy to make using pre-made dough from our favorite doughboy, but the most dangerous part of this recipe is saving the glaze for dipping.

4. Baked Parsnip Fries

make fries without using potatoes

Photo by Becky Hughes

Time to branch out with these roots. These baked parsnip fries have a unique, nutty taste, enhanced with your favorite nut butter (I say for almond) and spices. Bake them for the full 45min, and the patience will pay itself with deliciously crispy results.

5. Carrot Fries

make fries without using potatoes

Photo by Nick Schmidt

No, I don’t mean baby carrots. Baked with preferred your oil and spices, this treat has a sweetness to it like sweet potato fries but without all the starch. They sort of resemble roasted carrots made for the holidays, putting a taste of home in fry form.

6. Skinny Turnip Fries

make fries without using potatoes

Photo by Caty Schnack

I can’t say I’ve always been a turnip fan, but I’m sure, with a little imagination (and dreams of that summer beach body) they taste pretty similar. I mean, they look practically like steak-cut potato fries. You could even try some ketchup for added flavor.

7. Funnel Cake Fries

make fries without using potatoes

Photo by Jennifer Nigro

Take all the fun of the county fair to go with these funnel cake fries. Choose how to “cut” the fries with your fingers: curly, straight, or popper-form. You control the carnival. Just don’t forget the powdered sugar and marshmallow fluff dip.

8. Beet Home Fries

make fries without using potatoes

Photo by Jamie Medina

Unless you’re a ruthless ketchup user, red fries may come to some surprise. They have a crispy outside like traditional fries but preserve the softness of beets on the inside. These beet “fries” are actually cubes served with a Japanese-mayo-based sauce. This recipe has the power to harmonize crunch with softness and tang with sweetness.

9. Tofu Fries

make fries without using potatoes

Photo by Helena Lin

Ditch the starch and opt for soy instead for a small boost of protein. Whether you’re looking for fries with an Asian twist, a Vegan dish to bring to the party, or just want to try something new, this recipe is your go-to. Tofu has found its way in soups, burgers, and frozen Tofurkey patties, and it was only a matter of time for Tofu fries to emerge.

10-13. Sweet Potato, Zucchini, Avocado, and Pickle Fries

make fries without using potatoes

Photos by Grace Stauffer

Next time you’re headed for the drive thru, save yourself the guilt and $1.07, and try one of these recipes instead. In case you went a little overboard with the Cinnamon Roll Fries and Funnel Cake fries, these final four recipes will surely get you back on track. They don’t require many ingredients for simple additions to any healthy meal.