Sometimes a good musical duet makes you wonder how you can ever listen to the two musicians separately again. Together, they're better than they ever were before. I think about food combinations the same way. 

Just as in the music industry, sometimes the foods that people choose to pair may seem a little strange. Other times, you know that they were meant to be from the beginning. Either way, the synergistic effect can be mind-blowing. 

Here are some of the most iconic classic and contemporary musical duets paired with the food combination that best describes them. 

The Time of My Life (Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes): PB&J

sweet, meat
Tarika Narain

I've Had the Time of My Life always brings me straight back to Dirty Dancing, which makes me really nostalgic for childhood summer nights watching old 80's movies with my mom. That's why peanut butter and jelly is the perfect food combination for the song, it's the classic

No Air (Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown): Biscuits and Gravy

beef, pork, vegetable, dairy product, sauce, meat
Morgan Burnett

I decided to take this one pretty literally. Just like the song says, "losing you is like living in a world with no air," eating biscuits without gravy is a sin that no sane southerner would commit if they can avoid it. 

Highway Don’t Care (Tim McGraw and Taylor Swift): BEC

fried egg, cheddar, sandwich, cheese, bacon, egg
Devon Flinn

What some may not know about Highway Don't Care, only the best contemporary country song collaboration, is that Keith Urban plays guitar. Since it's technically a trio of musicians, not a duet, I thought bacon, egg, and cheese would be the most fitting food combination. 

Lucky (Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat): Cookies and Cream

cream, sweet, coffee, milk, chocolate
Eileen Wang

After I heard Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat together for the first time, I immediately turned to the internet to figure out when they would be releasing an album together.

Unfortunately for me, Lucky's all I have. Luckily the food combination of cookies and cream is so popular that it's featured in a huge variety of desserts

Empire State of Mind (Alicia Keys and Jay-Z): Bagel and Lox

cream cheese, bread, lettuce, tomato, salad, cheese, cucumber, salmon, bagel
Christina Warner

In Empire State of Mind, Alicia Keys and Jay-Z sing about the wonders of New York City. We have the Big Apple to thank for the song, as well as for the food combination of bagels and lox. They come together in one of the most classic breakfast sandwiches, and duets, of all time. 

Ain’t No Mountain High Enough (Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell): Chicken and Waffles

chicken, waffle
Ellen Bartolino

This song, combining two classic voices, always reminds me of southern comfort. Don't ask me why, but I think it has something to do with the way they sing the line, "to keep me from getting to you, baby."

That's why I've paired it with the most classic southern comfort combination I could think of, chicken and waffles

Drunk in Love (Jay-Z and Beyonce): Maple and Bacon

sweet, chocolate, beef, meat, pork, bacon
Audrey Mirabito

I love that, in this song, the two artists that are singing about being in love actually are. After listening, there's no questioning that they're meant for each other, kind of like the food combination of maple and bacon was meant to be.

It's the perfect balance of sweet and salty for either breakfast or dessert

Just Give Me a Reason (Pink and Nate Ruess): Strawberry and Banana

berry, pudding, milk, strawberry, cream, sweet
Natsuko Mazany

Although the lyrics of this song are super heavy, Pink and Nate Ruess' voices make it light listening. That's why I've paired the fresh fruit combination of strawberry and banana with the song, although it can get pretty decadent quickly in dessert recipes

You’re the One That I Want (John Travolta and Olivia Newton): Chocolate and Peanut Butter

peanut butter, peanut, butter, chocolate
Reed Erickson

If I had to pick a song to sing to my favorite candy, it would be You're the One That I Want. Since my favorite happens to be Reese's, I thought that the classic combination of peanut butter and chocolate was most fitting of this hit from the Grease soundtrack. 

Promiscuous (Timbaland and Nelly Furtado): Red Velvet and Cream Cheese

candy, sweet, red velvet cake, chocolate, cream, cake
Zoe Zaiss

I have to admit that jamming to Promiscuous is a bit of a guilty pleasure. That's why I've paired it with one of the most popular decadent dessert flavor combinations: red velvet and cream cheese.

From the cupcakes above to red velvet cheesecake, it's always a great dessert option when you're looking for something rich. Make sure you turn up Timbaland while you're eating. It'll make the whole experience that much more enjoyable. 

Say Something (A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera): Sea Salt and Caramel

pudding, caviar, jam, gelatin, cream, sweet
Lauren Kaplan

In this tear-jerker duet, A Great Big World's voice provides a welcome contrast to Christina Aguilera's. I love desserts that utilize contrasting flavors to provide complexity. I'm assuming everyone else feels the same way, because sea salt and caramel is a classic dessert flavor. 

Stay (Rihanna and Mikky Eko): Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese

chicken, tomato, sauce, vegetable, meat, bread, parsley
Christal Acosido

The song opens with the lyric, "all along it was a fever, a cold sweat." I know that when I'm not feeling well, nothing hits the spot like the combination of tomato soup and grilled cheese, whether it's actual sickness or heartbreak. 

E.T. (Katie Perry and Kanye West): Chips and Guacamole

avocado, herb, vegetable, guacamole

In this pairing, I would say that Kanye West is the chips and Katy Perry is the guacamole. His voice goes well with a variety of other artists, just like chips are great with any kind of dip. She's the guacamole because she's a little extra but we want her anyway. 

Under Pressure (Freddie Mercury and David Bowie): Milk Shake and French Fries

poutine
Aine Dougherty

I imagine that when people heard Freddie Mercury and David Bowie were doing a song together, they were a little hesitant. It would either come out amazing or be a huge bust. Luckily, it ended in the huge hit, Under Pressure. 

At first, I was super hesitant about the french fry and milkshake combination. But, just like everyone else that's tried the combo, I'm now a huge fan. 

Now that you have food combinations to go with classic musical duets, you may want some music recommendations for when you're trying out some of those recipes.

Check out this article for what music to listen to depending on what you're cooking.