I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Valentine’s Day is just a few days away. If you’re still trying to find that perfect last minute gift, look no further than this recipe. Whether it is for that special someone, or for your beautifully independent self who don’t need no one, this chocolate and maple bacon rose bouquet is a surefire way to spread the love. Wake up and smell the (bacon) roses with this easy and creative gift to show your valentine that romance is live and well.

Chocolate Dipped Maple Bacon Roses

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:20-30 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour
  • Servings:1 dozen roses

• 1 lb bacon
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate
  • 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
  • 12 fake roses with removable petals, or chocolate roses
  • toothpicks
Photo by Ariana Collura

Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Take out a strip of bacon and lay it flat.

Photo by Ariana Collura

Grab one end of the bacon strip and roll it up. You want the fatty part of the strip to be at the bottom of the rose, so keep this end level when rolling.

GIF by Ariana Collura

To make a jumbo rose, simply roll a bacon rose onto another strip of bacon.

Photo by Ariana Collura

To keep the bacon together, cross two toothpicks through the fatty end of the bacon. Do this as close to the bottom as possible, but still making sure all of the bacon is in tact. Repeat for all roses and place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.

#SpoonTip: If you have a baking rack, place that on top of the baking sheet instead and simply place your roses on the baking rack. This lets the fat drip during cooking.

Photo by Ariana Collura

Dip a pastry brush in maple syrup and glaze your beautiful bacon roses. If you can’t find a brush, you can drizzle the syrup over the bacon with a spoon.

Photo by Ariana Collura

Cook the bacon for 20-30 minutes.  Move them onto a separate plate when done and allow to cool.

Photo by Ariana Collura

After the bacon has cooled, take out the dark chocolate and place it into a small bowl. Microwave the chocolate at 30 second intervals, stirring in between until fully melted.

Photo by Ariana Collura

Take the toothpicks out of your bacon roses and dip the fatty bottom half into the chocolate.

Photo by Ariana Collura

Place the roses onto a plate (lined with parchment paper or greased).  Put in the freezer for about 10 minutes so the chocolate can harden.

Photo by Ariana Collura

To assemble the bouquet, take the fake/chocolate rose off of the stem. Rinse the stems off at the base where the flower was.

#SpoonTip: If your stems don’t have any inserts sticking up to hold onto the bacon, just break a toothpick in half and stick it into the base.

Photo by Ariana Collura

Stick the center of the bottom rose into the stem base where your toothpicks or flower inserts are. Repeat until your bouquet is complete.

Photo by Ariana Collura

Place your roses in a vase for preparation.

Photo by Ariana Collura

Store any leftover roses in an airtight container in the fridge. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Photo by Ariana Collura