'Vegan comfort food recipes' sounds like an oxymoron. People assume vegans are kale-loving hippies that exclusively buy organic. And sometimes, that's true. However, I've learned a few things after experimenting with a vegan diet, and it turns out that vegans can make comfort food that will have you swearing off meat forever. The next time you're feeling homesick, check out one of these recipes for a dose of vegan goodness.

1. Mac 'n' Cheese

pasta, cream
Eileen Wang

Remember the days when you would come home for lunch and eat Kraft Dinner? Well, this Mac 'n' Cheese is like the grown-up version. Cashews, almond milk, and nutritional yeast create a creamy sauce that's impossible to resist.

2. Black Bean Burger

cheese, lettuce, hamburger, tomato
Angela Kerndl

I have days when I want to just sink my teeth into a hearty burger, and this sweet potato and black bean burger is the perfect way to do it. Add homemade fries on the side for a truly magical experience.

3. Cookie Dough Ice Cream

espresso, milk, caramel, dairy product, sweet, cream, coffee, chocolate
Jody Brimacombe

After a long day of class, sometimes you just want Netflix, a spoon, and a big tub of cookie dough ice cream. If you're looking to indulge while staying healthy, then skip the Ben & Jerry's and whip-up this ice cream made from bananas instead.

4. Lemon Loaf

muffin, chocolate, candy, cookie, bread, pastry, sweet, cake
Emily Stamp

This vegan lemon loaf recipe hits me right in the feels. My mom made lemon loaf when I was a kid, and when it's baking in the oven, my whole house smells like home.

5. Quinoa Pizza

avocado, salad, arugula, sandwich
Alexandra Capello

Pizza always reminds me of sleepovers with friends. This 3-ingredient pizza crust takes me straight back to the days when we would cheesy movies and eat pizza straight from the box (plates are for snobs).

6. Poptarts

Sometimes all you want is a fuzzy blanket, home videos, and childhood nostalgia. Throw it back to when you were a kid with these vegan poptarts. Liv is the queen of vegan comfort food recipes, and you can find recipes for a cookies & cream mug cake and lazy lasagna soup on her website.  

7. The Ultimate College Sandwich

butter, waffle, candy, cake, peanut, cream, sandwich, peanut butter, cookie, chocolate
Katherine Baker

If you can imagine a Reese's peanut butter cup slathered between two pieces of bread, then you can imagine this sandwich. The best part? It only has 3-ingredients, and it can be on your plate in 60 seconds. Timer starts now.

8. Sage Garlic Biscuits

bread, biscuits
Emma Brant

Don't wait for Thanksgiving to try these vegan sage garlic biscuits. These little balls of doughy goodness can be enjoyed year-round, especially if you're feeling down about not being at home. Best paired with a good tomato soup (make sure to swap the chicken broth for a veggie option!).

9. Edible Cookie Dough

cookie, chocolate, sweet
Leah Valenti

You know when you were a kid and you used to eat cookie dough from the bowl? Yeah. You can still do that. This edible cookie dough recipe comes in three different flavors, so you can choose from chocolate chip, white chocolate-macadamia, or snickerdoodle.

10. Cashew Cheese Lasagna

cheese, tomato, lasagna, sauce, meat, vegetable
Keni Lin

Lasagna can fix a broken heart. Lasagna can fix homesickness. Lasagna can fix literally anything, and this cashew cheese lasagna uses homemade vegan ricotta to take your regular pasta to the next level.

11. Brownies

cake, brownie, cookie, chocolate
Reed Erickson

For a #treatyoself experience, there's no better recipe than these brownies. They're filled with mashed avocado, which sounds pretty weird, but adds a dense, moist texture to the brownies. Yum.

12. Single-Serving Chocolate Chip Cookie

pastry, oatmeal, oatmeal cookie, cake, goody, sweet, cookie, chocolate
Katherine Baker

If you're craving cookies but you also know that you'll eat the whole batch in one sitting (hey, we've all been there), then this single-serve chocolate chip cookie is for you. It's already portion-sized so you don't have to worry about those tempting leftovers. Honestly drooling just looking at this.

13. Carrot Cake Oatmeal

rice, oatmeal, porridge, cereal
Kristine Mahan

If you thought that you couldn't enjoy vegan comfort food recipes for breakfast, then think again. This bowl of carrot cake goodness will have you feeling better in no time.

14. Salted Caramel Truffles

cookie, brownie, chocolate, butter, peanut, peanut butter
Katherine Baker

There's no better cure for homesickness than a long soak in the tub, a glass of wine, and about twenty of these salted caramel truffles. A trashy romance novel is an optional pairing, but heavily recommended.

15. One-Pot Tomato Basil Pasta

tomato, garlic, macaroni, vegetable, basil, pasta, spaghetti
Abigai Wang

Sometimes you just can't wait for comfort food. This tomato-basil pasta dish can be ready in less than 20 minutes, and you only have to clean one dish. Make sure to omit the optional Parmesan cheese if you're vegan.

16. Banana Pancakes

banana, sweet, butter, pancake, peanut butter, syrup
Kristine Mahan

You know how each person has a specialty dish? My dad's specialty is flapjacks, and when I mix together these vegan banana pancakes, it always makes me feel closer to home. They're also light on the sugar, so you can indulge without feeling icky later.

17. Curried Butternut Squash Soup

vegetable, sweet, cream, soup
Sarah Silbiger

This recipe for butternut squash soup is like autumn in a bowl. The warmth and hearty flavor of the soup will soothe you as you count down the days until you can go back home. It's even better if you eat it while wearing flannel pajamas. Just saying.

18. Single-Serve Strawberry Cobbler

granola, cereal, pepper, vegetable, muesli
Kristine Mahan

This strawberry cobbler is just like grandma used to make, only healthier. You would never know by looking at it that the recipe only calls for 6-ingredients, and it takes just 20 minutes to make. Even grandma can't argue with that.

19. Coconut Ice Cream

dairy, ice, sweet, dairy product, milk, cream
Kristine Mahan

If you're looking for a creamy substitute to the usual dairy-filled ice cream, then this coconut version is for you. The best part? It's 3-ingredients, and you don't even need a machine to make it.

20. French Onion Dip

parsley, soup, vegetable, bread, cream
Andrea Leelike

French onion soup might be off the menu, but you can still enjoy the flavor with this french onion dip. You could be healthy and dip veggies in it, but if you're looking for a homesickness cure, then salty chips are heavily recommended.

21. Nutella Dark Chocolate Mug Cake

coffee, chocolate, cream, sweet, tea, milk
Parsa Lotfi

I'm a believer that chocolate can cure all woes, and homesickness is no exception. Check out this Nutella dark chocolate mug cake for a gooey dessert that can be ready in less than 5 minutes.

Whether you're a chocolate-lover or a pizza-fiend, these vegan comfort food recipes have something for everyone. And if you're still feeling homesick afterwards, then call your mom. Watch childhood movies on repeat. As hard as it is to believe, the homesickness will pass, and you'll remember all the good things in your life right now. Home will always be waiting for you when you're ready to return.