Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Pancakes and waffles are top-tier choices but are not always the best options when rushing to class or work. Let’s face it. Sometimes waking up an hour earlier to make breakfast isn’t always ideal and we opt for an easier method to avoid that. There are days when I leave my house with just a shake and a granola bar, and my efforts to curb my hunger fail in just an hour, and my stomach is grumbling for more. I’ve realized to have that nutritious and filling breakfast I crave, sometimes meal prepping has to be involved. So, here are some quick breakfast meal ideas that could help morning you. 

Overnight Oats

Take time the night before to make some overnight oats. The base is simple: oats and milk. Looking to add more fiber to your diet? Add a tablespoon of chia seeds! 

These muffins from Erin Clarke have peppers, tomatoes, and spinach — allowing you to get those veggies in first thing in the morning. On Clarke’s website, options for customizing these muffins further with cheeses, spices, dairy-free, and paleo are also available.

Potato Bowls

Have leftover sweet potatoes (or really any potato) from the night before? Make yourself a potato bowl! I like to dice up my leftover potatoes into cubes, or bite-sized pieces. Add these to a small tray and pop it into the oven for approximately 20 minutes. When that’s done, fry yourself an egg and add that on top. The runny yolk pairs so well with the hearty potatoes. You can also go a step further by slicing half an avocado and drizzling some hot honey on top.

Pancakes

Ok so, I lied, pancakes can still be quick and easy. My go-to recipe is from Allrecipes and it takes me all of 20 minutes, including cooking time. But you can also make the batter the night before to save some time in the morning. The recipe is no longer available on the website, but here are the ingredients you'll need: 

1 cup flour

1 cup milk (do ¾ cup if you want a thicker batter)

1 egg

1 teaspoon of baking powder

1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

A pinch of salt

2 tablespoons white sugar

2 tablespoons of oil

To make these pancakes more filling, add two to three spoonfuls of your favorite yogurt. This will allow for a more fluffy texture. Don’t forget your toppings either! Add chocolate chips, strawberries, bananas, peanut butter, whatever your vibe is that morning. 

Breakfast Pizza

Pizza is universal. Here’s how you can finesse pizza for breakfast. You can quite literally use anything as your dough: a garlic naan, pita bread, English muffin, or actual pizza dough. On top of your base, spread a thin layer of pesto (ignore Susi, store-bought pesto wouldn’t be crazy to use here), your choice of cheese, spinach, and bacon. At the 10 or 12-minute mark, crack an egg or two on top. Bake your pizza at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or to your desired crispiness.

As a pizza lover, I approve this message. 

Strawberry Cheesecake Baked Oats

Imagine dessert for breakfast? Sign me up STAT. Trace Alexander is the one to go to when you’re craving a twist to oats — pumpkin spice baked oats, savory oatmeal, he’s thought of it all. 

In this specific recipe, in a blender add 1/2 cup of oats, 1/2 cup of milk, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (or maple syrup), a pinch of salt, a scoop of protein powder, and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Pour your mixture into a baking dish. Then add a scoop of your favorite cream cheese in the middle and spread the mixture over to cover the cream cheese. Top with strawberries and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes.

Avocado & Egg Toast

This is one of the perfect on-the-go breakfasts. Toast a slice of your favorite bread, add a bit of butter, and slap a HEFTY amount of avocado on top. To finish it off, either top with a fried egg or scrambled egg.

If you don’t want plain avocado on top, here’s my go-to mixture: half an avocado, a teaspoon or more of your favorite hot honey (mine is the Extra Hot Honey by Miel Rincon), a dash of salt and pepper, ¼ teaspoon of paprika, and ¼ teaspoon of cilantro (I also use cilantro paste if I don’t have fresh). 

Wake-Up Wraps

Sure, Dunkin' might have the best wake-up wraps, but you can do it better! You only need one ingredient for the base of this breakfast, eggs. To make these egg wraps from Cotter Crunch, scramble eggs and cook them like you’re making a crepe. Once the “wraps” are cooked, fill them up to your liking, and roll in foil or parchment paper. Plus, you can make multiple wraps and store them in the freezer until you’re ready to assemble.