Whether she was teaching Elmo the value of a nutritious breakfast, or declaring exercise "not 'Ew'" in a Jimmy Fallon bit, Michelle Obama spent the past eight years tirelessly campaigning for a physically and mentally healthier America. Saying goodbye to this sweet potato-loving First Lady was hard, but thankfully, she has left us with plenty of wise words to keep us talking about every aspect of a healthy lifestyle. Here's a breakdown of her best advice:

1. Self-Care

As if the title of First Lady didn't have enough weight on its own, Mrs. Obama also takes on another role: Mom-in-Chief. In balancing all of these responsibilities, she has shown the world that taking care of yourself goes a long way.

"When I get up and work out, I'm working just as much for my girls as I am for me, because I want them to see a mother who loves them dearly, who invests in them but who also invests in herself," she explained in an interview with Prevention. "It's about letting them know as young women that it is okay to put yourself a little higher on your priority list."

2. Nutrition

Taking a realistic approach to healthy eating, Mrs. Obama preaches balance. Her goal isn't to deprive you of junk food, but your body can only handle so many Big Macs.

"The problem is when that fun stuff becomes the habit. And I think that's what's happened in our culture," she told CBSNews.com. "Fast food has become the everyday meal." 

3. Body Positivity

Michelle Obama exudes empowerment. Just as she embraces her own muscles and curves, she wants every girl to feel comfortable in her own skin.

"The truth is, being a healthy woman isn't about getting on a scale or measuring your waistline — and we can't afford to think that way," she told Women's Health. "Instead, we need to start focusing on what matters—on how we feel, and how we feel about ourselves.

4. Self-Confidence

Considering all of the progress she made during her time in the White House, it's inspiring to know that female empowerment was Mrs. Obama's top priority. So listen to this wise woman and show yourself some love.

"If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion," she shared in an interview with Vogue.

5. Moderation

Sure, she is best known for her love of fruits and veggies, but our former FLOTUS is still human. And humans like pie. So, in case you were waiting for presidential permission to eat dessert, you may now indulge with a clear conscience.

"I try to have no absolute nos. I love french fries, I like a good burger, and I like pie. And that's okay," she told Prevention. "I would be depressed if I felt I could never eat the things that I love. I also don't want my girls to be obsessed about food. We don't have a 'no junk food' rule — I just want them to think about their choices."

6. Exercise

Michelle Obama firmly believes that her workouts are more than just physical."Exercise is really important to me — it's therapeutic," she told Marie Claire in 2008 Working out shouldn't be a chore. Find something that gets you up in the morning or gives you an outlet during a stressful day.

7. Healthy Relationships

Michelle Obama articulated the memorable phrase "Choose people who lift you up" in an interview with ABC News in 2011. Earlier that year, she advised students at Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School with similar words, saying:

"Do not bring people in your life who weigh you down. And trust your instincts... Good relationships feel good. They feel right. They don't hurt. They're not painful. That's not just with somebody you want to marry, but it's with the friends you choose. It's with the people you surround yourselves with."

So, basically, go find yourself a Barack and an Oprah, and don't settle for anyone less than a Beyoncé.

8. Mental Health 

Her life isn't all sweet potatoes and kickboxing. Just like Spoon aspires to achieve with our Healthier campaign, Michelle Obama began to break the silence on mental health issues: "Whether an illness affects your heart, your leg, or your brain, it's still an illness, and there should be no distinction," she stated in a 2015 speech promoting mental health awareness.

9. Physical Health

But that isn't to say sweet potatoes and kickboxing won't significantly help your health and wellbeing. It's all connected. 

"Being healthy isn't about inches, pounds, or how kids look," Mrs. Obama explained to AOL.com in 2015. "It's about how they feel and making sure they feel good about themselves. So rather than focusing on appearance, it's important to emphasize to kids that when we eat healthy food and stay active, we feel better, and we can perform better in everything we do, from athletics to academics."

10. Patience with Others

The First Lady of Food even has advice that can help the kale-resistors in your life. "In the end, it's all about patience and persistence - you often have to expose a child to a new food numerous times before he or she will begin to like it. So keep trying!" she told AOL

Okay, so maybe she wasn't quite gearing this toward college students, but you get the idea. Thank you, Michelle Obama, for all the amazing words of wisdom over these past eight years. We will miss you.