This year, at the 2017 Annual Golden Globes, Meryl Streep was honored with the Cecil B. DeMille Award and left us with something much more memorable than a simple acceptance speech. The famous actress took time to speak beyond her work and her ability to entertain (her 30 Golden Globe nominations say it all), and instead, she focused on the well-being of others.

She publicly shared her view on the actions of new President-elect Donald Trump; however, her powerful words were about much more than just politics. Instead, it was a continuation of her well-known ability to offer words of empowerment to the masses of people that look up to her.

Although her Golden Globes speech this year was one for the books, Streep has been known for her motivational words since day one. Each year that the awards honor those in entertainment, I hope for a speech from Meryl Streep. Not just because I’ve seen all of her movies (Julie and Julia is one of my all-time favorites), nor because of her admirable speaking skills. Instead, I am eager to hear the creative way in which she encourages us to make a positive impact on one another and the world we live in.

That being said, here are some of the many notable ways in which the talented Streep has continuously inspired us all with her wisdom. 

1. On Empathy

“The great gift of human beings is that we have the power of empathy, we can all sense a mysterious connection to each other."

2. On Working Hard

"Integrate what you believe into every single area of your life. Take your heart to work, and ask the most and best of everybody else, too."

3. On The Idea of "Normal"

“This is your time, and it feels normal to you. But, really, there is no ‘normal.’ There’s only change, and resistance to it, and then more change.”

4. On Female Empowerment

“What does it take to be the first female anything? It takes grit and it takes grace.”

5. On Happiness and Success

“The formula of happiness and success is just, being actually yourself, in the most vivid possible way you can.”

6. On Impactful Actions

"Everything we say signifies; everything counts, that we put out into the world. It impacts on kids, it impacts on the zeitgeist of the time."

7. On Moving Forward

"You just have to keep on doing what you do. It's the lesson I get from my husband; he just says, Keep going. Start by starting.

8. On Overcoming Obstacles

“Put blinders on to those things that conspire to hold you back, especially the ones in your own head.”

9. On Fear

“Fear is a good thing. Fear is your friend. Everything that destabilizes you can help you. They taught us that in drama school. If you’re comfortable, you’re not doing your job. Most actors are constitutionally insecure. It’s sort of necessary.”

10. On Good Role Models

“This instinct to humiliate, when it’s modeled by someone in the public platform, by someone powerful, it filters down into everybody’s life, because it kind of gives permission for other people to do the same thing."

11. On Respect

“Disrespect invites disrespect, violence incites violence. And when the powerful use their position to bully others we all lose.”

Among many famous actresses of our time, Meryl Streep is without a doubt one of the most influential figures in the entertainment industry. She does more than just entertain by guiding us with her words of empowerment. She continues to teach us about the importance of empathy, respect, and courage in her own life and deems all of these as qualities that we should hope to embody.

She prompts us to think about the impact of our actions on ourselves and on one another. She reminds us to have a voice, even in the face of fear and disapproval from others. She stresses the importance of being a good role model and the influence that we can have on others by doing so. She encourages people to be themselves, as she believes that it's one of the best ways to achieve one's utmost success. Here's to you, Meryl. Thank you for reminding us all to keep moving forward. We're with you.