Craving a savory bite of cinema? Here’s a round-up of the best foodie films from around the world.

1. Chef (2015)

foodie

Photo Courtesy of BoxOfficeInternational.com

Director: Jon Favreau

Disgraced chef Carl Casper (Favreau) returns to his hometown and opens a food truck. Carl reconnects with ex-wife Inez (Sofia Vergara) and son Percy while selling Cubanos from his truck. Watch for the food; keep watching for a heartfelt tale of redemption.

2. The Hundred Foot Journey (2014)

foodie

Photo Courtesy of Collider.com

Director: Lasse Hallstrom

The Kadam family moves to a quiet French town. They reopen their restaurant, Maison Mumbai, 100 feet from competing Le Saule Pleureur, an upscale French restaurant run by the formidable Madame Mallory (Helen Mirren). A culinary war breaks out, but their mutual love of food reconciles the two sides.

3. Julie and Julia (2009)

foodie

Photo Courtesy of IMPAwards.com

Director: Nora Ephron

In the 1950s, Julia Child (Meryl Streep) is an aspiring chef studying at celebrated Parisian culinary school Le Cordon Bleu. Decades later, blogger Julie Powell (Amy Adams) is determined to make all 524 recipes in Child’s legendary cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking–in one year. Their interconnected stories are charming, engaging and ultimately inspirational.

4. Ratatouille (2007)

foodie

Photo Courtesy of IMPAAwards.com

Director: Brad Bird

Remy, a rat who dreams of becoming a chef, befriends garbage boy Alfredo Linguini. Together they whip up delicious meals for the Michelin-starred restaurant Gusteau’s, proving that anyone can, indeed, cook.

6. Chocolat (2000)

foodie

Photo Courtesy of Joblo.com

Director: Lasse Hallstrom

Vianne Rocher (Juliette Binoche) moves to a socially repressed post-war French town. When Vianne opens a chocolaterie just before Lent, her decadent chocolate quickly changes the lives of conservative townsfolk.

7. Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011)

foodie

Image Courtesy of IMPAwards.com

Director: David Gelb

Sukiyabashi Jiro is a sushi restaurant located in a Tokyo subway station. It has ten seats—and three Michelin stars. Jiro Ono, the 85-year-old owner and chef, is widely regarded as the best sushi chef in the world. This documentary follows Jiro’s quest to perfect the art of sushi-making.

8. Super Size Me (2004)

foodie

Photo Courtesy of SolarMovie.is

Director: Morgan Spurlock

Spurlock ate three daily McDonald’s meals for one month. He consumed about 5,000 calories per day and gained 24 pounds, which took 14 months to lose. Supersize Me links the dangerous effects of fast food to America’s obesity epidemic.

9. Food, Inc. (2008)

foodie

Photo Courtesy of IMPAAwards.com

Director: Robert Kenner

Food, Inc. analyses the industrial production of meat, grains and vegetables. Kenner also examines the economic and legal power that major food production companies wield. This documentary offers a terrifying glimpse into the unethical, inhumane corporate farming practices of modern agribusiness.

These films take different approaches, but each focuses on the preparation and serving of food. They’ll make you hungry – or horrified – but more importantly, they’ll make you think about the intimate role food plays in our day-to-day lives, our relationships, and our society.