We’re in the peak of hot girl summer, and every hot girl, guy, and nonbinary person needs an emotional support water bottle. I have two emotional support water bottles because I have a lot of emotions. But I wanted to put two iconic and popular water bottle brands to the test.

Everybody has (and loves) the 40-ounce Stanley Quencher, so much so that there are accessories to decorate the tumbler and products to prevent leaking. But in June, Hydro Flask released its All Around Travel Tumbler with a very similar look to the Quencher. I had to see if it either was worth the hype. So, I put both of the tumblers to the test to see which one was the better buy.

Hanna Lopez

Which has the better size & color options?

Stanley

The Stanley Quencher tumbler comes in four different sizes: 14-, 20-, 30-,and 40- ounce. If you’re super into drinking water, they recently added a 64 ounce tumbler to the lineup. The Quencher also comes in a wide variety of colors. The 64- and 14-ounce come in seven colors, the 40-ounce Quencher comes in 18 different colors, the 30-ounce comes in 12 colors, and 20-ounce comes in 10 colors. 

Hydro Flask

The Hydro Flask All Around Travel Tumbler is a lot different. It only comes in two sizes: 32- and 40-ounce. Both tumblers come in six colors.

Winner: Stanley

How long do the Hydro Flask and Stanley tumblers keep drinks cold?

Stanley

I bring an emotional support water bottle everywhere I go, and these last couple weeks the heat has been brutal, so having cold drinks is a MUST! I filled up my Stanley with ice at 10 a.m. and left it in my hot car all day while running errands. Before I got ready for bed (around 11:45 p.m.), all the ice had melted, but that water was still cold, almost 14 hours later.

Hydro Flask

The new Hydro Flask All Around Travel Tumbler is said to keep your drink cold between 12 to 24 hours, so I had to see if that was true. I filled my Hydro Flask before getting ready for bed one night around 11 p.m. When I woke up the next morning around noon, let me tell you that the water was ice cold even though the ice had melted (the woman was too stunned to speak). I was surprised because I own a Hydro Flask Wide Mouth water bottle, and it does not keep the water cold as long.

Winner: Tie

Which has the better design? 

Both cups have bodies that are tapered to fit a cup holder. The Hydro Flask is designed with a spill proof lid and a flexible rubber straw. The lid is not one you screw off, but instead a rubber-sealed pull lid. This helps prevent leaking, but if you fill it to the top and push the lid back on, the water comes up through the straw and splashes onto the lid or yourself.

The Stanley has a rotating cover with three positions: an opening designed to resist splashes while holding the reusable straw in place, a drink opening, and a full-cover top. But even with these three positions, I still have to keep the tumbler upright or else water will leak everywhere. I like the design of my Hydro Flask a lot better, as it prevents spillage way better than the Stanley. I’m a very spill prone person.

Winner: Hydro Flask 

Which is better: Hydro Flask or Stanley?

I love both of these water bottles. They both have the same shape, easily fitting into my car cup holder and keeping my water cold for about the same time. The Stanley’s array of colors and sizes blow the Hydro Flask out of the water (pun intended), but the Hydro Flask does a better job of not spilling. Even though you might be able to customize your Stanley Quencher, overall, I like my Hydro Flask better. 

Hydro Flask All Around Travel Tumbler 40 oz: 44.95

Stanley Adventure Quencher H2.0 Travel Tumbler: 45.00