We can all understand the feeling that you get when the waiter brings out your freshly made tortilla chips and queso—pure joy. Most college kids can't afford to go out to a Mexican restaurant every night (I know I can't), so why not make your own at home for under $4?

Sometimes, all a girl needs is a fried, crunchy, tortilla chip. Never mind the healthy, low calorie stuff, we want the real deal. Top off the chips with some mango salsa, cheesy queso, or savory guac to really satisfy your craving. 

Homemade Tortilla Chips

• Small corn tortillas
  • Vegetable oil
  • Sprinkle salt
Olivia Chadwick

Gather your main ingredient, the corn tortillas.

Olivia Chadwick

Pour about 1-2 cups of vegetable oil into the wok or pan. It should cover the bottom completely. Turn heat on oven to medium.

Olivia Chadwick

Line up the corn tortillas on top of each other.

Olivia Chadwick

Cut the corn tortillas in sixths. I have found this to be the best size to scoop up queso AND it fits in your mouth perfectly.

Olivia Chadwick

Once the oil is hot, gently begin placing corn tortilla sixths into the pan.

Olivia Chadwick

Fill up the pan with corn tortilla pieces. Isn't it beautiful?

Olivia Chadwick

After 1-2 minutes, gently flip each corn chip using tongs.

Olivia Chadwick

The chips will appear a golden brown after another minute.

Olivia Chadwick

Using tongs, remove each chip and place on paper towels to remove excess oil. I like to line a cookie sheet with paper towels to minimize the mess.

Olivia Chadwick

Continue frying your tortilla chips until you have enough for seconds. Sprinkle with salt for extra flavor!

Olivia Chadwick

Don't forget the queso. You MUST have the queso.

Olivia Chadwick

Voila! You just made restaurant-style tortilla chips in under 10 minutes, with 3 ingredients, for under $4. Talk about a bargain

Looking to find some authentic Mexican recipes to make at home? This list will have you racing through the grocery store aisles for those savory and earthy flavors we all adore.