The other day I decided to cut up some super-ripe mangoes I had lying around, and to make something different and summery out of it. A hardy mango salsa was the perfect choice because not only is it super healthy, but super easy to make and share. You can basically throw any vegetables in your fridge into this recipe and rest assured because it is 100% vegan.

The best part about this recipe is that if you make the chunks of vegetables and fruit big enough, it can be both a salad and a salsa. You can eat it with chips, on a sandwich, or plain like a chopped salad. 

Mango Salsa/Salad

• Cook Time:0

• 1 or 2 ripe mangoes
  • 1 small red bell pepper
  • Half a lemon juiced
  • Half a lemon zest
  • 1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 small tomato diced or chopped grape tomatoes
  • 1 avocado chopped
  • 1 cup chick peas or black beans
bread
Allison Curley

Wash and chop up all the vegetables as directed

peach, mango, apple
    Allison Curley

Add the lemon zest, juice, red pepper flakes, and bean choice. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.

cheese
    Allison Curley

As you can see, this recipe is full of color, fresh vegetables, and flavor. The red pepper flakes and the lemon flavor bring out the spice and freshness that make it more of a summer salsa. Chop everything thinner than I did if you want to serve it as a salsa with chips, but I decided to make it into a vegan sandwich. This is perfect for a vegan diet because it has the beans deliver protein with lots of flavor and tons of in-season vegetables. 

pineapple, salad, salsa, avocado, mango
Allison Curley

Depending on how many people you want to serve, add or lessen the amount of mango and vegetables. I suggested using one ripe mango because you can get a lot out of a really fresh one. I was also only making it for me, not a group of people, but this amount lasted me at least three days and three full meals. 

My biggest tip for this recipe is to make it as close as possible to the time you are planning to serve it. This is mainly because of the avocado. While the lemon juice will help it stay fresh, avocado always browns after you cut it up. 

Enjoy this totally fresh, vegan, vegetarian, and healthy salad. Studies show that eating something without meat at least once a week can not only lower your total fat intake, but also help the environment. This is a super easy and quick recipe that can be easily adjusted with whatever vegetables you already have in your fridge.