Where I'm from in the south, snow days are few and far between. However, whenever I do get any snow, the entire city shuts down. For my family, this means making tons of fun recipes and having movie marathons.

Thanks to the abundance of recent snow storms, I've spent some quality time finding recipes to both keep me warm throughout the day and make use of the fresh snow all around. 

Here are a few of my favorite munchies to enjoy whenever the flakes do fall.

Fancy Baked Oatmeal

cereal, sweet, corn, meat
Rebecca Doser

Chances are that if the snow storm hit overnight, work or school wasn't cancelled until early morning. Take advantage of that extra time to make this delicious baked oatmeal that is so much more impressive than the microwave stuff. 

Breakfast Casserole

apple
Abby Smith

If you're more of a savory breakfast kind of person, I have a recipe for you too. This one combines eggs, sausage, hash browns, and cheese. Just don't tell grandma that you've taken over her role as queen of the casserole. 

Warm Quinoa Salad

quinoa, couscous, salad, avocado, vegetable
Julia McGuire

Because snow days were so few and far between when I was a kid, we took full advantage of playing outside all day in the snow when we could. This quinoa salad is the perfect healthy fuel that can keep you warm all day long from the stomach out. 

Macaroni and Cheese Casserole

cheese, chicken
Grace Nguyen

If you're part of the "quinoa is overrated" club, then try out this macaroni and cheese casserole instead. Taking the extra time to bake it in the oven is well worth it when you taste that crispy ritz topping.

For those trying to keep it a little on the lighter side, try this recipe that hides some butternut squash in cheesy sauce so perfectly that you won't notice that you're getting a serving of veggies. 

Vegetarian Beer Chili

chili
Abby Galyon

If, by some stroke of unluckiness, your classes aren't actually cancelled for the snow, you can still enjoy this heartwarming chili that incorporates every college student's favorite ingredient. Throw everything in a pot and, with minimal effort, you have a delicious dinner.

Mushroom Soup

soup, noodle, chicken, broth, vegetable, ramen, carrot
Kamila Gabitova

I get it. It's hard buying groceries on a college student budget, especially when all of the grocery shelves have been cleaned out in anticipation of the snow storm. Try out this soup for a cheap but filling meal ready in just 2 hours with 10 minutes of prep work.

10 Minute Tortellini Soup

pasta, spinach
Caroline Grew

When you've spent all day outside playing in the snow and all you want is something warm ASAP, this is the recipe you want to use. It's hearty enough for a full meal and it can be ready in 10 minutes from start to finish. 

Chicken Tortilla Soup

A personal favorite of my family, this soup is hot in two ways for double the cold-fighting power. Try making it on the stove on low if you don't own a crock pot, but definitely don't leave out the avocado, tortilla chips, and fresh lime when you help yourself to a serving... or two.

Classic Lasagna

lasagna, cheese, pie, sauce, pastry
Aubrey Miller

Ever wonder how your grandma makes the perfect lasagna every time? I know I did until I discovered this foolproof recipe. It's the perfect dish to make for your roommates when it's too cold for a night out. 

Homemade Hot Chocolate

milk, coffee, chocolate, cream
Parisa Soraya

I put this recipe towards the end, but we all know that snow days call for a steady supply of hot chocolate all day long. If you're feeling adventurous, try out several different recipes with your friends.

Treacle Tart

cake, bread
Li Stalder

As I said before, snow days mean movie marathons with my family. More specifically, they mean arguing over which movies to watch and then agreeing to another Harry Potter marathon. Try out this recipe so you can snack just like Harry, Ron and Hermione.

#SpoonTip: To make your movie marathon a bit more exciting, try out this Harry Potter drinking game. Be sure to do it with homemade butterbeer spiked with whatever booze is hiding in your apartment. 

Hopefully I gave you a big enough list to keep you warm through all of the snow days this winter. But, before you warm up, you're going to have to at least venture out there for a few minutes to cool off.

Try using some of that snow to make maple candy, snow cones, or snow ice cream while you're out there. Now you know you've got some warm treats to enjoy once you've had your fill of the white fluffy stuff.