With versions of avocado toast finding their way to, what seems like, every trendy cafe and restaurant, they sometimes seem to lose their specialty. No matter what you add to the avocado - red pepper flakes, fried egg, micro greens - it sometimes just gets boring. Toast is a wonderful venue for a variety of toppings and perfect for any time of day. Summer, fall, winter, or spring, these toast toppings are sure to elevate your toast game beyond avocado.

1. Ricotta Toast with Fresh Figs and Honey

Take your traditional cannoli filling and add a twist with sliced fresh figs and a drizzle of honey. When figs aren't in season, using dried figs works just as well.

2. Goat Cheese Toast with Jam and Herbs

Softened goats cheese, jam of your choice, and fresh herbs make a tart, sweet, and slightly unexpected bite for breakfast, lunch, or even dessert. This combination also makes a tasty crostini topping for an appetizer.

3. Almond Butter Toast with Cacao Nibs and Coconut

Start with a sprouted bread and build this deconstructed, healthified almond joy toast. Cacao nibs aren't too sweet, which pairs nicely with large flaked coconut. For extra chocolate try chocolate almond butter as the base.

4. Peanut Butter Toast with Berry Chia Jam

An elevated version of childhood lunch, this combination is perfect twist for the kid at heart. Choose creamy or crunchy peanut butter, then top with homemade berry chia jam - made with just berries, sweetener, and chia seeds - and some nuts for crunch.

5. Hummus Toast with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Sprouts

A heartier toast topping, hummus in any flavor goes well with a dense bread. Top with roasted cherry tomatoes, a handful of sprouts, and a sprinkle of feta cheese to make a deconstructed salad on toast.

6. Cheddar Toast with Apple and Maple Syrup

A classic New England combination of crisp apples, sharp cheddar cheese, and a drizzle of Vermont maple syrup tastes like fall on toast. For some extra spice, sprinkle with ground cinnamon.

7. Smoked Salmon Toast with Cream Cheese and Capers

Although this topping is best fit on a bagel, it taste equally as delicious on toast. Cream cheese and smoked salmon are often combined to make the well-known and popular schmear and lox. Topped with briny capers and red onions with a bite, and you have a classic New York City breakfast. And to really get as close as you can to the NYC classic, try Trader Joe's Everything Bagels Seeds sprinkled on top. 

8. Greek Yogurt Toast with Berries and Granola

This is the best of two breakfasts all in one. Greek yogurt provides a creaminess that contrasts with crunchy granola and toast, while also providing an extra dose of protein. If you can't decide between yogurt and toast for breakfast, then this is the morning meal for you.

9. Pesto Toast with a Fried Egg

Thick toast spread with pesto and topped with a fried egg elevates your traditional egg on toast. Keep it simple with these two ingredients or top with shredded Parmesan cheese for a more elegant toast. 

10. Whipped Cream Toast with Lemon Curd

If dessert for breakfast is your choice of meal, then this is for you. Lightly sweetened whipped cream and tart lemon curd atop a soft toasted bread like brioche, or maybe even a crumpet, satisfies your early morning or afternoon sweet tooth.

With these basic ideas, get creative with the toppings. Use different types of bread, make the combinations into sandwiches, and maybe even add an avocado here or there. Toast is a base for more than just butter and jam, and I'm already addicted to all of these.