As 2016 comes to an end, we look back on the different trends in our food world. We congratulate the rainbow bagels that were munched on and the sushirittos that were snacked on. Give them a round of applause, please. However, the best food trends have yet to come.

The year of 2017 is looking to be taking a different route. Full of plant-based meals and nutritious snacks, we can only hope that this coming year's most googled foods won't be among pizza and cake. 

1. Meat Substitutes

meat, pepper, tofu, stir-fry, vegetable
Katherine Baker

As a fellow vegetarian, this news will probably be the best I have heard all day. More and more people are starting to eat a plant-based diet, whether that may be a flexible pescatarian or a full on vegan.

There are so many benefits to eating a vegetarian diet, one being that some of the people who live the longest are those who eat like a vegetarian. Look forward to seeing more tempeh, tofu, and bean-based products on menus and in grocery stores. 

2. Seeds

salt, oil, vegetable
Kristine Mahan

As more people get back into working out at the start of the new year, you are sure to see an increase in the demand for seeds. Seeds have many health benefits like being packed with protein and fiber. In addition, they add taste and consistency to really any type of dish.

Try adding chia seeds in your breakfast, sunflower seeds at lunch, or flaxseeds at dinner. You can throw seeds in a salad, a stir fry, or even into a smoothie. They're a pretty darn diverse topping. 

3. Craft Beer

liquor, beer, alcohol, cinnamon, wine, tea
Amelia Weller

No doubt about it, craft is about to be the next organic. Craft beers and ciders are being seen along side items that are homegrown, provenance, or even seasonal because people are looking for quality over quantity.

Craft beers are an upgrade from your normal Coors, having more flavor and aroma. Going to on a distillery tour and hearing how craft beer is produced is a great way to spend time with friends, as well as being educational. Did I mention you usually get to sample the different types of beers? 

4. Vegetable-Based Entrees

spaghetti, herb, pasta, vegetable
Corinne Robertson

If you haven't gotten to experience zoodles, then you're SOL. Vegetables are coming in hot as a replacement for carbs and meats because they are lower in calories and carbohydrates. This means these dishes—such as zucchini pasta or smoked carrots—make for a lighter meal and add more flavor to the dish.

Vegetable-based dish searches have skyrocketed in the past year, like the popular butternut squash mac and cheese and spaghetti squash casseroles. 

5. Fermented Drinks

tea, ice, beer
Abby Reisinger

You have probably seen the vegan or yogi bloggers you follow on Instagram telling you how much they love "the buch." And you should listen.

More and more people are getting into drinking the fizzy, fermented tea because not only does it taste like a healthier alternative to soda, but it also has "good critters" from the probiotics produced during fermentation. Kombucha is low in calories, low in sugar, and super high in flavor.

6. Seaweed

wakame, herb, cabbage, seaweed salad, water spinach, broccoli, salad, spinach, vegetable
Jaye Lind

Move over kale, there is a new lean, green fighting machine in town—and its name is seaweed. Seaweed, among side other Japanese dishes, has been predicted to become more common on menus other than just at your favorite sushi place. Seaweed salads, dried seaweed, and smoothies are sure to be the next new health trend. It is a great way to get in your iodine—and if you're like me—your daily salt fix. 

7. Cauliflower-Based "Carbs"

corn, honey, sweet
Maris Altieri

Cauliflower alternatives made their grand debut in 2016, but were caught in the tailwind of the gluten-free craze. In 2017, look for a rise in cauliflower alternatives, not only on Pinterest, but also in upscale restaurants. Cauliflower can be made into gluten-free pizza crust and tortillas; however, they can also be made paleo and/or vegan. Cauliflower has a ton of health benefits as well, such as fiber and potassium. 

8. Artisan Meats

cheese, dairy product, chocolate, milk
MaryRachel Bulkeley

What goes good with a big glass of wine, your ladies, and a Friday night? Artisan meat and cheese. While 2017 looks like a veggie-heavy year, there are going to be plenty of people who push right back. Rather than burgers and fries, look for artisanal meats with nice cheeses to pair with. Time to upscale your next snack. 

9. Root To Stem Vegetables

cabbage, salad, broccoli
Ali Platt

Stop slicing the greens off your carrots and peeling your potatoes because it's time to start your bite at the root and make your way all the way down to the stem.

Reducing food waste has become a movement among producers and consumers alike because is it bad for our environment and takes away plenty of nutrients from our body. Instead of throwing away parts of the vegetable you wouldn't ordinarily eat, throw them in with the rest of your dish.  

If you are looking to be the trendiest and healthiest person among your peers at the New Years Eve Party, take a bite of a jackfruit slider or order a fancy craft beer. You'll be starting 2017 off the way right—healthy.