It’s green, leathery, smells of the sea and probably isn’t the most appetizing thing you can think of. Why would you want to eat seaweed? Because it’s a super food. Seaweed has amazing health benefits we could all be reaping, so knock down the negative stigma! Here are some awesome reasons to eat it and delicious ways to do so!

seaweed

Photo courtesy of Parsa Lotfi.

First off, the composition of the human body is very similar to that of the ocean, so why not turn to it for nutritional purposes? Seaweed contains many essential vitamins and minerals our body needs to function properly, most notably iodine and calcium.

Iodine is essential in growth and development. Much of the iodine in our body is stored in the thyroid gland, which secretes hormones that control basic metabolic rates and a healthy consumption of it keeps the gland functioning properly. It helps the body utilize calories in the most optimal way, therefore preventing them from being stored as fat.

seaweed

Photo courtesy of Parsa Lotfi.

Iodine has also been shown to help with digestion as well as boost our attention. If there’s anything that we college students need, it’s something to help us focus, and it seems that seaweed could be the solution.

seaweed

Photo courtesy of Parsa Lotfi.

We all know calcium is important for healthy, strong bones, but sometimes it can be hard to get our daily value, especially in a vegetarian or vegan diet. Seaweed is a great alternative that can be used as a topping on all your favorite dishes to help achieve a healthy intake of calcium.

You don’t need to eat seaweed raw or dried. Instead, there are some other ways to eat it that are a little more tasteful:

• take as a supplement
  • make sushi
  • sprinkle flakes into stews, pasta, salads, or add to a smoothie
  • add seaweed salad to your take-out order
  • Lundberg rice cakes with seaweed
  • use kelp noodles in place of ramen
seaweed

Photo courtesy of Parsa Lotfi.

More Nutrition from the Sea:
Seaweed 6 Ways
Sushi for Newbies
How to Choose the Best Quality Fish