Toast has been a reliable breakfast favorite since childhood. In adult years, it has managed to become a godsend in tight situations when you just have to shove something down before getting back to the grind—and it's no longer limited to breakfast. Luckily for you, the days of mindlessly scarfing down basic toast combinations are over. It's time to turn your bland, everyday toast snacks into balanced meals that will bring your mind wandering back to your childhood glory days. Whether you're looking for new ideas for on-the-go meals or you're just a regular toast-eater who wants to spice up your bread life, these easy toast recipes place a whole new spin on your favorite bread classics. 

1. French Toast Egg-in-a-Hole

egg, bread, toast, sweet
Phoebe Melnick

Two breakfast worlds collide to birth this sweet-and-savory French toast egg-in-a-hole. There's nothing like homemade French toast, but adding an egg in the middle makes it all the more nutritious and amusing. Even if you're experiencing a huge load of stress, this dish is sure to cheer you up by emanating warmth, comfort, and nostalgia all around. 

2. Strawberry, Pistachio, & Honey Ricotta Toast

cream, cheese, balsamic
Brittany Arnett

Although avocado is currently one of the trendiest toast toppings, ricotta shouldn't be overlooked. This cheese pairs well with sweet and savory combinations, such as in this strawberry, pistachio, and honey ricotta toast. With only a five minute preparation time, this dish is quick, simple, elegant, and most of all, not basic.

3. Sweet Potato Toast

I am a huge believer in sweet potatoes. They automatically make everything better. So why not turn them into toast? Marshmallows, brown sugar, peanut butter, pesto, bacon, and even the beloved avocado are all potential toppings that can be creatively incorporated into your sweet potato toast. All you have to do is slice them up, toast them, and decorate them with your favorite toppings.

4. Ham and Cheese Avocado Toast

Jamie Hegg

Ham and cheese is already the best type of sandwich, so upgrading it to toast has been the best thing since, well, sliced bread! This ham and cheese avocado toast is a great source of protein and literally only takes seconds to make. You can even add egg in the middle to create the ultimate protein-filled meal to keep you going throughout the day.

5. Sweet and Savory French Toast Egg Sandwich

jam, cheese
Soomin Suh

You've probably never tried a French toast sandwich quite like this, so allow me to introduce you to the sweet and savory French toast egg sandwich. Peanut butter and jelly, maple syrup, and eggs create a *textured* experience for you with this pleasantly messy sandwich. Although the flavor combination seems strange, the sweet and savory components of this dish actually complement each other to bring the sandwich's taste full circle.

6. Avocado Toast with Fried Eggs

bread, toast, egg, egg yolk, croque madame
Julia Maguire

This avocado toast with fried eggs should be at the top of your list for your Meatless Monday menu ideas. Only three main ingredients are required to make this extremely easy recipe, yet it is far beyond basic. You can add any toppings you want to tailor it to your taste preferences.

7. Tropical Vacay Toast

crust, tart
Grace Goettman

This tropical vacay toast perfectly demonstrates how you can take ordinary toast and dress it up with a modern makeover. Mango slices, coconut, and honey provide your toast with a tropical twist that is reminiscent of warm breezes, hot sand, and tranquil ocean waves.

8. Garlic Parmesan French Toast

meat, scrambled
Emma Danbury

We have been blessed by yet another sweet and savory toast combination. We've already seen that French toast doesn't always have to be sweet; maple syrup is admittedly delicious, but sprinkling some cheese atop this garlic Parmesan French toast gives you an exciting new perspective on a reliable classic.

9. Pumpkin Toast

cheese, sandwich
Lara Taniguchi

Frozen pumpkin is an unlikely ingredient, but it sure beats spending your entire salary on avocados for your *basic af* toast. This pumpkin toast is extremely simple and rich with unique flavor, leaving the combinations completely up to you. You can add cinnamon, currants, or any other toppings you want, quenching all your autumn cravings in one health-promoting meal.

10. Roasted Garlic Hummus Toast with Fresh Arugula Salad

Brianna Sa

At this point, you're probably begging for at least one more good avocado toast recipe, but it's time to expand your bread boundaries and expose you to topping ideas that you'd never normally consider trying. This roasted garlic hummus toast with fresh arugula salad is so flavor-packed you'll completely forget that avocados weren't needed to make it taste so good. You may miss the aesthetic of your friendly green fruit, but this dish is just as beautiful and Insta-worthy.

11. Three-Ingredient Pizza Toast

toast, bread, cheese, grilled cheese sandwich
Mikayla Baiocchi

This three-ingredient pizza toast reminds me of one my favorite childhood snacks, Bagel Bites. The preparation is as easy as you'd think it'd be, and you have total control over every ingredient you use. Now tell me that's not way better than anything you can pick up from the freezer section in the grocery store.

12. Upside Down Cinnamon French Toast

Celeste Holben

Make this upside down cinnamon French toast once and you'll never go back to ordinary French toast again. It takes a little bit longer than the others to make, but it will definitely be worth your time. A sticky cinnamon sugar glaze is soaked into each thick, doughy slice of bread and cooked to a golden brown in the skillet. You seriously need to treat yourself with this Cinnabon-esque toast delight.

13. Matzo Avocado Toast

egg, fried egg, egg yolk, bread, toast, croque madame, dairy product, butter
Hannah Freiberg

This matzo avocado toast proves that toast is universal, no matter your religion, culture, or ethnicity. Whether you celebrate Passover or not, this dish provides a kosher version of a generational favorite, allowing you to enjoy the same taste of regular avocado toast. 

Toast can come in all shapes, sizes, and flavor combinations, but the bottom line is that easy toast recipes are lifesavers in the midst of intense time crunches. There are different types of toast for practically every mood you experience, so get your kitchens fired up for whichever one you're craving right now.