You may be thinking, "Why would anybody want to eat avocado toast with no avocado on it?"

Well...I am going to say it, I HATE avocado. I know. I know. "Who doesn't like avocado?" 

Ah yes, that would be me: avid avocado cynic. I just don't understand the hype around the fruit. (Oh yeah – FYI, avocados are fruits. Let that sit with you for a moment or two). To me, they are just a ball of squishy green nonsense with little-to-no flavor. I don't like them in a salad. I don't like them in guacamole – catch me saving that extra $1.80 at Chipotle – and I especially don't like them on toast. But alas, I am a self-diagnosed basic girl; my mind and Instagram feed have been inundated with photos of beautifully crafted avocado toasts from Sunday brunches worldwide. I felt excluded; I, too, wanted to be able to eat a beautiful slice of toast and brag about it all over social media. 

I mean, come on – I don't like eggs or avocados, but for some reason, I just want to eat that beautiful thing up!

So I was set on a mission to find the best darn avocado toast, with one catch: it had to involve no avocado whatsoever. After hours and hours of slaving over my hot toaster oven, I finally came up with a recipe that trumps any avocado toast I've seen before. If you are one of the strong souls who likes avocados, I promise you won't even miss it.

This recipe includes roasted garlic and hummus spread onto crisp toasted sprouted bread, topped with a fresh arugula salad. The arugula is nicely contrasted with the tanginess of sundried tomatoes and the sweetness of the balsamic reduction. The chickpeas and chia seeds provide a variety of texture throughout the toast.

Sounds way better than your average avocado toast, right? This toast is also a great way to start off your day as it gives you almost two servings of vegetables, a serving of whole grains, and a serving of healthy fats (which is a powerful combination to keep you full and satisfied throughout your morning). It's also super easy to make and doesn't take more than 5 minutes to put together. The hardest part about this recipe is roasting the garlic (#SpoonTip: if you don't know how to roast garlic, read this tutorial here). I normally have roasted garlic in my fridge, but if you don't and are in a hurry you could always just use roasted garlic hummus.

Roasted Garlic Hummus Toast with Fresh Arugula Salad

• Cook Time:0

• 1 slice sprouted bread – I use Ezekiel
  • 1 tablespoon hummus
  • 1-2 cloves roasted garlic
  • 1 cup arugula
  • 2 tablespoon chopped sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon chickpeas
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • a drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar reduction
  • salt and pepper to taste
Brianna Sa

Toast your bread.

Brianna Sa

Spread your roasted garlic onto your bread and then on top spread your hummus.

Brianna Sa

Toss together arugula, sundried tomatoes, and chickpeas. Then place on top of toast.

Brianna Sa

Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic reduction, and sprinkle with chia seeds, salt, and pepper.

Brianna Sa

Serve this toast with a vegan chocolate banana latte and you'll be ready to start your day. If you are looking to save time, each week you can prepare one large salad and roast your garlic so that in the morning all you have to do is toast and assemble. Let's make avocado toast with no avocado a thing! #avocadoLESStoast

Still Hungry? 

-27 High-Protein Vegan Breakfasts That Will Start Your Day Off Right

-Which Vegan Breakfast Recipes You Should Make, Based on Your Zodiac Sign

-10 Vegan Breakfasts That Are Perfect for When You’re On-the-Go