As we are all way too aware, it's midterm season and it's time to rise and grind. Like most people I know, I prefer to be delirious off of caffeine before I lock myself into the library for the day. So for the entirety of my freshman year, this meant going to Starbucks and spending upwards of $5 on a vegan latte.

I'm also one of those people who can't stand the taste of black coffee, especially unsweetened coffee. I know this is going to disgust coffee connoisseurs everywhere, but my unrefined tastebuds need my coffee to be undoubtedly sweet – like, vanilla cupcake sweet. You would have seen me at the condiment bar like... 

"BYE BYE BITTERNESS!"

Now as someone who prides themselves in eating a healthy diet, I obviously realized this was an issue. We all know that added sugars have been shown to be detrimental to health and cause a whole bunch of health problems. 

The most common alternatives to cane sugar are artificial sweeteners (like Splenda, Sweet'N Low, and Equal) and "natural alternative sugars" (like Stevia, agave, and honey). But these have also been proven to not be the healthiest options. 

So as sophomore year rolled in and the money in my bank account rolled out, I decided I was going to swap that Starbucks latte for something homemade, healthier, made without any added sugars or artificial sugars, and cheaper.

My solution was this insane vegan chocolate banana latte, which uses no dairy products, added sugars, or artificial sweeteners, just a bunch of plant-based (and cheap) deliciousness. The outcome is a creamy, sweet, chocolate latte with just a hint of banana flavor. Also, it's easy to make (just throwing everything into a blender) and can serve as breakfast when you are in a rush. You will also feel like a health guru knowing that you just got a serving of fruit in your morning brew. 

*Drinks one banana latte*

"My body is a temple, so I keep it pure and clean for my soul to reside in." 

Vegan Chocolate Banana Latte

• Cook Time:0

• 8 oz your favorite cold brew
  • 1 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk
  • 1 banana
  • sprinkle cacao nibs optional
Brianna Sa

Place all of the ingredients into a blender and blend!

Brianna Sa

#SpoonTip: If you want this to be a smoothie, you can freeze your banana beforehand!

Think about it – in five minutes you could be sipping on this flipping awesome homemade latte. Not to mention, you will have quality content for your Instagram. I mean, is there anything more Instagramable than a vegan latte in a mason jar? Caffeinate safely, kids. 

Still Need More Caffeine? Check Out:

12 Vegan Starbucks Drinks Anyone Would Enjoy

15 Coffee Hacks Every Caffeine Addict Needs

What Your Coffee Choice Says About You