Nestled on a street corner in Echo Park, Counterpart peaks your interest with its large glass entrances that let you peek into the restaurant. The soft-glow of the light bulbs and the vibrant wallpaper invite you in, while the shelves of plants and wide windows bring the outside and glorious LA sunshine in. The relaxed smile of your barista makes you feel at ease. Echo Park becomes your neighborhood, and Counterpart Vegan is your home for the time you choose to spend here. 

Riva Cooper

The good vibes are what attract you, but the food is why you stay. Whether your craving a wholesome buddha bowl or in need of a hangover detox shot and lox (vegan-ized, of course), Counterpart Vegan Deli has your fix on their menu, and we had to find out what those were for ourselves.

Riva Cooper

Lucky enough to experience the cafe pre-quarantine, our group of dietary-restricted spoonies headed to Counterpart with empty bellies for an early Sunday dinner. As soon as we stepped into the cafe, we were greeted by the earthy, open atmosphere and shop-owner, Tone. We ordered a couple brews to start off, while we listened to our waitress for her must-tries. We decided to order family-style to get a better experience of what Counterpart has to offer, so here's what Reilly recommended. 

Riva Cooper

What We Ordered

Riva Cooper

Matcha Spanish Latte

Creamy and not too sweet, this matcha will give you energy with none of crash coffee drinkers feel from time to time. We recommend it warm and cozy.

Riva Cooper

Sea Salt Cold Brew

Nausheen has been dying to try the sea salt coffee trend, but the lack of vegan options has held her back until now! The cold brew was refreshing and strong without bitterness. The sea salt enhances the coffee, which is very apparently high quality.

Riva Cooper

The D'Vinci Brekkie

Ariana, our gluten-free friend, opted for this sweet potato hash with tofu scramble and convincing shaved parmesan topping. See for yourself in the photo, it's legit! The sautéed kale balances the sweet, pan-fried hash, an easy way to get your greens in.

Riva Cooper

Coco Berry French Toast

Made with sourdough bread, this French toast can be enjoyed by all, including Ariana (sourdough is easier on gluten-intolerant tummies!) The French toast manages to be custardy sans eggs, while still being airy. The coconut whipped cream and berries provide light and refreshing sweetness.

Riva Cooper

Classic Bagel & Lox 

This bagel has your favorite fix-ins: cream cheese schmear, fresh heirloom tomato slices, raw red onion, everything seasoning, capers, fresh dill, but the "lox" makes this anything but ordinary. The carrot lox is marinated in flavors reminiscent of salmon, but the integrity of the carrot still comes through. Although I continue to eat fish in my majority vegan diet, vegan alternatives are cool to explore and mix it up. 

Riva Cooper

Counterpart Reuben

The brininess of the purple sauerkraut, house-made beet-brined seitan pastrami, tanginess of the Russian dressing, and melty Swiss cheese all layer together to make the perfect reuben that happens to be vegan.

Riva Cooper

Cauliflower Mac N Cheese

Vegan mac n cheese that ACTUALLY tastes good is a difficult feat, and Counterpart nailed it. The sauce is creamy and cheesy in all the right ways minus the weird aftertaste vegan cheeses can have -y'all know what I'm talking about. The chunks of cauliflower mixed the noodles make for an unexpected twist on a classic comfort food.

Riva Cooper

House Sausage (pictured above "What We Ordered") & King Oyster Mushroom Bacon

Lastly, we sampled their sausage, super flavorful and satisfyingly close to the og. Made in house, the sausage only has mindful ingredients, just one of the many things you can feel good eating here. The crispy king oyster mushroom bacon makes for the perfect texture switch up from the creamy cauli mac. We recommend ordering a plate for the table to snack on

Sydney Youmans

Get a taste for Counterpart right now through most delivery apps or order for pickup, but make sure to add this spot to your list of restaurants when you can sit and savor a coffee or meal outside of your house again. As everyone's neighborhood deli, it's good food that happens to be vegan.