Only in a rare case will you hear a Honduran say they don’t love baleadas. Having been around for generations, traditional Honduran baleadas are a classic dish, representative of Honduran cuisine and culture. Versatile, tasty, and timeless, baleadas are perfect as a treat or as a go-to quick fix for any meal of the day. 

Something about the combination of the yummy ingredients, wrapped in a big, fluffy flour tortilla that drive Hondurans (and foreigners) completely mad. Breaking down the anatomy of the baleada will show you why and how this delectable dish is one of Honduras’ most beloved foods. 

juice, honey
Lissane Kafie

The Outside:

Always a flour tortilla.

sweet, cake, bread
Lissane Kafie

Thick or thin, a flour tortilla is the outer coating of the baleada. It holds all of the tastiness inside, hugging the filling like a blanket. Whether you choose to make the tortilla from scratch or use them store-bought, the best way to prepare a tortilla for a baleada is to heat them up in a comal (a griddle) on the stove, and they should be ready to go. 

The Inside:

A classic, traditional baleada will typically have a filling of refried beans, mantequilla, and queso fresco.

Refried Beans

chicken, meat, sauce
Lissane Kafie

Baleadas aren’t really baleadas without refried beans. Beans are the foundation of this typical Honduran dish, adding the creaminess and tastiness to it. Beyond adding a hint of creamy flavor, the beans add a layer of plant-based protein to the baleada. To make the refried beans, blend the whole beans (you can use canned) in a blender until you get the desired consistency. Then, prepare a pan with vegetable or olive oil on the stove, and fry the beans up. 

Scrambled Eggs

dairy product, egg, scrambled
Lissane Kafie

Hondurans know how to do breakfast (or breakfast for dinner) right with a traditional baleadas. A Honduran baleada is not complete without the protein filled bright yellow scrambled eggs.

Mantequilla (Honduran-style Sour Cream)

chocolate, dairy, sweet, cream, dairy product, milk
Lissane Kafie

The Honduran-style sour cream, only better. With a much creamier and slightly sweeter taste than sour cream, mantequilla adds the creaminess and melt-in-your-mouth factor to the equation. The best part of the mantequilla is that it pours out of your tortilla when you bite into it.

#spoontip: in the absence of mantequilla, use sour cream and add a pinch of salt, or you can even use cream cheese as a substitute. 

Queso Fresco (Cheese)

tacos, bacon, pancake
Lissane Kafie

Is anything really complete without cheese? Cheese makes everything, legit everything, better, and even in tropical Honduras, baleadas are not the exception. Sprinkle some queso fresco inside and let it do its thing. And if you don't have queso fresco just laying around your house (which, I don't blame you) then parmesan or basically any type of shredded cheese will do the job. You will not regret it.

Avocado

avocado
Lissane Kafie

If you’re anything like me and are obsessed with avocados, you’re always looking for ways to incorporate avocados in pretty much all of your meals. So, here is a crazy new way to eat avocados: add it to your baleada! Avocado adds a fresh touch to your already carb and dairy loaded baleada. Besides, even seeing that little bit of green on a meal makes me feel slightly better about eating it. 

Fried Plantain

Fried plantains add to the thickness and richness of the baleada. Although it is not part of the traditional baleada, the fun thing about this dish is that you can add pretty much anything that your flour tortilla can hold. Fry up some sweet plantains and add a touch of sweetness as well as volume to make your baleada extra good. 

Chorizo, Chicken, or Steak

If you want to get all fancy, add chorizo, chicken, or steak to your baleadas. Adding meat adds flavor and volume to your baleada, as well as some protein to a carb-filled dish.

The Finale: 

tacos, bacon, meat, cheese
Lissane Kafie

Immerse yourself into the Honduran food scene by enjoying all the flavors of beautiful, tropical Honduras eating your baleda like a real catracho (in other words, slang for "Honduran"). Keep it simple with a traditional baleada with a tortilla filled with beans, mantequilla, and queso fresco, or keep things interesting by adding scrambled eggs, avocado, plantains, and even your choice of meat.

You can’t get more authentic than a baleada, and now you know how to bring a taste of Central America in the comfort of your home.