Do you ever find yourself bored with the typical ice cream flavors around you, and wish there was something more unique to try? Well that is exactly how OAK Creamery came about, which is creatively named with the first letter of each of the founders' names. Three ice cream-loving college students, Olivia, Alysia, and Katie, started creating this company in 2017 while they were each about to finish their spring semester. 

OAK's Mission And Backstory

OAK's mission is making the world a better and sweeter place one scoop at a time! The idea for OAK came about when the three founders were studying for the finals and started to crave ice cream. However, their tastebuds yearned for something different than the typical flavors that they could find at a convenience store or ice cream shop. This made one of the founders, Katie, think of her grandmother's 70 year-old ice cream recipe. From that point on, the young entrepreneurs decided they not only wanted to make ice cream, but make it even better.

OAK decided that they wanted their company to make a difference by being serious about sustainable initiatives in every decision they make. One huge example of this is their goal to be plastic-free, which they have been following since they began the company. Every time they give out ice cream at an event, they use 100% biodegradable packaging and bags to dispose of their cups and spoons. They're also working with local farmers in the New York area for their ingredients.

OAK's Flavors

OAK has perfected five flavors so far, which have each been given their own names and descriptions. Each flavor also has its own steps to make each flavor special. I'll give you a sneak peak of three of their unique flavors as well as a quote from the OAK team about each flavor.

Home for the Holidays: this flavor is a combination of coconut, almond, and cinnamon. It's designed to "give you that feeling you get when you see the ones you love after a long time."

Bookworm: this is their Earl Grey flavor, which aims to give "you that feeling you get when you curl up with a good book."

Casual Cravings: this is their chocolate-lovers flavor, which includes rich chocolate shards. It's the perfect concoction for when "you're craving something sweet and rich."

The Future For OAK Creamery

OAK is still in the up-and-coming, but making progress everyday. They recently participated in the Women's Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC) and won a prize of $500!

OAK is also going to be at The Beauty Parlor in Dobbs Ferry, NY at the end of the month with a popup shop! They will be serving four of their flavors in a sundae bar style, so I definitely recommend going to check it out if you're in the area.

They are also going to be selling some scoops at Long Island farmer's markets, so keep an eye out on their social media for that! 

Looking Ahead

OAK is planning to serve their ice cream for special occasions that request their tasty treats.They're also working with Entrepreneur mentors at Hofstra University to network better and create connection as well as strengthen their understanding of owning a business.

In the future, OAK is hoping to buy a food truck rather than a having a regular ice cream shop. This way their ice cream flavors can be shared with everyone in the United States.