The Walt Disney World resort in Orlando, Florida is home to numerous theme parks and hotels that bring guests into the worlds of their favorite Disney movies. The Polynesian Village Resort is not only popular among guests due to its close proximity to the Magic Kingdom, but for its food which has roots in Polynesian culture. 

On my most recent trip to Walt Disney World, I had the chance to eat at the Polynesian Village Resort and made a list of the top 5 food items that are definitely worth trying on your next visit. 

1. Tonga Toast

Tonga Toast is similar to the classic french toast, but comes with a surprise. Tonga Toast is composed of banana-stuffed french toast rolled in cinnamon. The outside is sweet and crunchy while the inside is warm and gooey creating the perfect flavor combination. Tonga Toast is definitely more for those with a sweet tooth, but even those who prefer something more savory will still enjoy this banana goodness. 

Tonga Toast can only be found inside of the Polynesian Village Resort at Kona Cafe or Captain Cook's. While Kona Cafe is a table service restaurant and Captain Cook's is a quick service restaurant, both places prepare the dish the same way to create a delicious breakfast meal. 

2. Pulled Pork Nachos

Who says nachos can't be an entire meal? Located at Captain Cook's, these pulled pork nachos will make you think twice about ordering regular nachos next time you go out to eat. The nachos are made up of pulled pork, onions, spicy mayo, tomatoes, and pineapple salsa. While this may sound like a lot of different flavors, the sweet and spicy mixed with the crunch of the potato chip creates the perfect taste with every bite. Even if nachos are not your typical entree of choice, I would highly suggest trying these nachos because they might change your mind. 

3. Thai Coconut Meatballs

If you are a fan of meatballs, then you need to try these thai coconut meatballs from Captain Cook's. These meatballs are infused with coconut and glazed over with a sweet and tangy sauce. I would suggest this option for people who are relatively picky eaters, but still want to try something a bit out of their comfort zone. If you are vegetarian, then I would ask a Cast Member if you can have a substitute along with the rice so you can still get that amazing flavor while managing your dietary needs. 

4. Dole Whip

Dole Whip is one of the most popular snacks that Disney has to offer to its guests. Dole Whip is a non-dairy pineapple flavored soft serve treat that guests can enjoy at Magic Kingdom or the Polynesian Village Resort. At Pineapple Lanai, located at the Polynesian Village Resort, guests can get the classic Dole Whip, a swirl mixed with pineapple and vanilla, or a float with pineapple juice. Dole Whip is the perfect treat for pineapple lovers or for those who are in  need of something refreshing on a hot summer day. If you are interested in trying the pineapple upside down cake, then you need to make your way over to Aloha Isle at Magic Kingdom as it is not served at Pineapple Lanai. 

5. Purple Potion Cupcake

Purple Potion is the latest trend taking over both Walt Disney World and Disneyland. Along with the introduction of purple ears and accessories, Disney has also released new purple treats ranging from candy apples and cake pops to marshmallow wands and cupcakes. This purple cupcake is exclusive to the Polynesian Village Resort and guests can find it at Kona Cafe. It is a vanilla cupcake filled with peanut butter and raspberry jam topped with purple buttercream and fondant Minnie Mouse ears. Whether or not you like cupcakes, it is definitely worth a trip to the Polynesian to take a look at this beauty. 

Overall Thoughts

The Polynesian Village Resort is not only the perfect way to escape the crowds of Magic Kingdom, but is a place to try different food items outside of typical theme park cuisine. Captain Cook's, Kona Cafe, and Ohana's are the three restaurants located at the Polynesian. While each of these restaurants vary in cost and theme, there is one common theme which is that all of the food is spectacular.