Does Chick-fil-A have a secret menu? Well, not really. But any restaurant can have a secret menu if you try hard enough. This was made evident by Matt James’ recent Instagram reel, in which he and Rachael Kirkconnell assemble and consume “Chick-fil-A nachos,” a creation which most of Instagram agreed was kind of, well, gross looking. To be fair, these “nachos” are not the first questionable result of experimenting with the Chick-fil-A menu, as Chick-fil-A pizza apparently already exists.

I can’t really judge, because I have been known to make “Chick-fil-A pasta salad” (pasta salad, but with cut up nuggets and Chick-fil-A sauce for dressing). I’m a little ashamed of that, TBH, but what Matt James has done is objectively worse, so I feel I can finally speak my truth. Please don’t judge. The point is, I’m not afraid to get a little creative with my fast food. But these “Chick-fil-A nachos” are just…a lot.

The Chick-fil-A nachos recipe

Matt offers two potential sauce concoctions, “secret sauce” (ranch + buffalo + honey mustard) OR “Chick-fil-A sauce,” which replaces the buffalo sauce with honey mustard.

Here’s how to assemble: slice two spicy chicken filets into cubes, toss with your tri-sauce concoction, arrange a bunch of waffle fries on a tray, drizzle them with more sauce, slap on some mac and cheese, and finally crown it with your weird saucy chicken bits. I’m getting tired just thinking about it.

Are Chick-fil-A nachos good?

Honestly, I’m not sure how much we can trust Matt James’ taste. I mean, if his “Grub Street Diet” is to be trusted, Matt’s “personal recovery shake” consists of coconut water, chocolate almond milk, pina colada protein, fruity pebbles protein, and creamy peanut butter. I would have to recover just from making that, let alone drinking it. On the other hand, Matt is a fellow North Carolinian and Char-Grill stan (IYKYK), so I have to give him credit for that.

Matt’s girlfriend (?) Rachael Kirkconnell swears the nachos are “so good,” though when I watched the video without sound I thought she was saying they were disgusting, based on her facial reaction. Maybe she’s just trying to be a supportive partner? Which, good for her, but I’m not buying it.

Matt concludes his video by saying “don’t take our word for it, see for yourself.” Sorry, but I will not be seeing for myself. I like Chick-fil-A’s food as much as the next girl, but I’m definitely not going out of my way to eat there. When I do stop at Chick-fil-A, it’s because I need a fast, convenient meal that I know will taste pretty good. These nachos require way too much effort, look very messy, and require ordering half the Chick-fil-A menu. For now, I’ll stick to the classics: nuggets, fries, and a frosted lemonade. But if you are brave enough to try these “nachos” for yourself, let me know how it goes.