It’s inevitable that as years go on, the human language changes with us. When it comes to food, which I would argue is probably the most important thing for all of us to talk about, the language of what we cook and eat is also constantly evolving. This is why it is crucial for Merriam-Webster to stay up-to-date with how we’re speaking about the delicious foods we eat. And they did just that, adding 690 new words, with many new food words in the dictionary relating to dining.

The dictionary evolving in our language is nothing new. As we all have probably noticed by now, it seems that humans get lazier and lazier as decades go on, meaning that words are constantly shortened to fewer syllables. I can honestly say that I don’t remember the last time I said the full word “guacamole,” especially since the word “guac” is quite literally in the dictionary now. So, hah, I am speaking grammatically correct! Other abbreviations that have been added to the dictionary in recent years such as “marg” and “avo” truly show the English language’s development (to less and less formal).

However, with the new developments added by Merriam-Webster this year, it seems that they may finally be trying to have some formality in the world. No connection to the fact that a new season of The Bear came out this year, right? No, chef; we believe there is a connection. In fact, “cheffy” is actually one of the new terms that have been added (no, we aren’t kidding). The definition is an adjective meaning “characteristic of or befitting a professional chef (as in showiness, complexity, or exoticness).”

Okay, okay, I guess I have built enough suspension. Here are a few of the other new terms that have been added:

Smashburger (finally a real word): a hamburger patty that is pressed thin onto a heated pan or griddle at the start of cooking; also: a patty (as of beans or ground turkey) prepared similarly 2: a sandwich featuring one or more such patties.

Jollof rice: a West African dish of rice cooked in a sauce of tomatoes and onions seasoned usually with garlic, thyme, hot pepper, and other spices and often accompanied by meat, fish, or vegetables.

Emping: a slightly bitter cracker or chip popular in Indonesia that is made from the dried flattened seed of a melinjo tree.

I mean come on, who doesn’t love a Smashburger? Not only do they have a crazy-fun name but they are also delicious. I think we are going to feel pretty cool when we are eating that thin pressed-down patty just knowing that the phenomenon we grew up with is now actually a documented term and not just something your mom makes on special occasions.

All jokes aside, I do think that another part of why it’s so amazing that Merriam-Webster has added more food-related words is the fact that popular dishes from around the world are getting recognized in such an official way. It may not seem like a huge deal, but it really is cool to get to learn more about the favorite meals of those across the globe.