The Smashburger franchise began in 2007 with a very specific goal in mind: to connect with America’s passion for its favorite food [burgers] on a local level and in a space where “Smashed Fresh, Served Delicious” means dedication to crafting the best-tasting burger around. In other words, they want to make their customers the most delicious burger that will tantalize tastebuds and that includes the tastebuds of gluten-free folk.

Smashburger makes gluten-free eating simple with their Interactive Allergen Menu. Just check the boxes of the foods you wish to avoid and Smashburger will provide a comprehensive list of what's safe and which foods need to be modified. And their guide isn't limited to the common allergens. In fact, specific spices, beans, seeds, fruit, and vegetables are also listed.

Another beneficial aspect to the Smashburger menu is that customers can build their own burger. In this article, I've included the individual Smashburger gluten-free ingredients if you're interested in creating your own masterpiece, as well as pre-designed gluten-free options. 

Burgers

Let's start with the basics. You can't build a burger without a bun.

Traditional buns are, obviously, not gluten-free. However, Smashburger has two (yes, two!!) alternative options. Back in 2014, Smashburger partnered with the popular gluten-free company Udi's. If you love bread, their gluten-free bun is a great option. I'll warn you that buns are toasted in the same toaster as gluten-containing buns as well as on the griddle when melting cheese. If you're celiac, I wouldn't recommend ordering a bun because cross-contamination is 100% real.

The other option—and what I would recommend for anyone with celiac disease—is to go bun-less and order a lettuce wrap instead. It's a lot more fun to eat with your hands, while also sneaking in some extra veggies. 

Moving on to the patties: the Smashburger patty is 100% hamburger, so it's a safe choice along with Smashchicken. On their website, Smashburger states that their spice mixture has been modified to be gluten-free.

The following burgers can be ordered with either a hamburger or chicken and a gluten-free bun (or lettuce wrap): Avocado club; Bacon Cheeseburger; Buffalo and Blue Cheese, Classic Smash, Spicy Jalapeno Baja; Spinach, Cucumber, and Goat Cheese; or the Truffle Mushroom Swiss.

Toppings and Cheese

From avocado to grilled mushrooms, Smashburger boasts a wide variety of toppings. The only one to avoid are the Haystack Onions since they're coated in a wheat-based batter. With this modification, the BBQ, Bacon, Cheddar burger can be added the list of Smashburger gluten-free options. All of the cheese options are also suitable for those following a gluten-free diet. 

Sauces and Dressings

Sauces are a sneaky source of gluten. Smashburger recommends the following for their burgers: BBQ, Ketchup (phew), Mayonnaise, Mustard, and Smash Sauce. If you're looking for salad dressings, stick with Balsamic Vinaigrette, Chipotle Mayo, and Ranch.

Fries and Sides

If you're celiac, you've probably heard this hundreds of time: while French fries themselves are gluten-free, cross-contamination likely occurs during the deep frying process. So skip the fries. However, if you're avoiding gluten for personal reasons, you could brave the fries. No promises though.

Looking for something different? Try some Smashfries, Sweet Potato Fries, or Veggie Frites. If you're celiac, your best option is the garden salad. Not very exciting, I know. But Smashburger does have a large variety of salads you can order as a meal instead.

Salads

Salads tend to be my go-to option when dining out since they have a dramatically lower risk of undergoing cross-contamination. Smashburger has a delightful selection of salads that are actually filling and tasty. The Baja Cobb Salad, Classic Cobb, Harvest Salad, and Spinach, Cucumber, Goat Cheese salads don't require any modifications. 

Want some protein? Any salad can have grilled chicken, ground beef patty, or ground turkey patty added. 

Hand-Spun Shakes

No meal is complete without dessert. And Smashburgers offers incredibly dreamy and creamy milkshakes. With one simple modification, just about every one can be gluten-free. Repeat after me: NO MALT POWDER. Malt comes form barley, which is a definite no-no. The Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, Butterfinger, Peanut Butter, Chocolate Peanut Butter, and Salted Caramel flavours are good to go with NO MALT POWDER.

With the popularity of gluten-free eating accelerating, restaurants around the globe are finding ways of adapting their menus to meet the needs of every customer. Smashburger is no exception. Like all restaurants, contamination with gluten-containing ingredients is always a possibility. With this in mind, order gluten-free with confidence the next time you stop by Smashburger.