The best advice I was given freshman year is that Mardi Gras is a marathon not a sprint...and to have snacks in your fanny pack. Mardi Gras is amazing, exhausting, exciting, and overwhelming– so you need to make sure you have all the necessities for a winning fanny pack to last you through the parade season. Here are all the tools you need to stock the ultimate Mardi Gras fanny pack. 

1. Protein Bars

Rachel Hartman

You will forget to eat during Mardi Gras. I know this sounds crazy but it's true. Plus, there's nothing worse than not being able to enjoy yourself because of immense hunger. There are lots of yummy options to choose from and when the rest of your meals consist solely of pizza you'll be happy to eat something remotely healthy. While there are some food options available on the parade routes, everything is always over priced and a granola bar will do the trick. 

2. Portable Phone Charger

cake, tea

First off, it's so unnecessary to take a snapchat video of every single parade, but you will do it anyways, and your phone will die. Trust me, I did the exact same thing. The amount of times I tried to call an Uber just to have my phone die immediately afterwards is just sad. A portable phone charger is must. 

3. Hand Sanitizer 

water, fish, shellfish
Jedd Marrero

Okay, Mardi Gras is just nasty. There are so many people wedged together trying to catch various throws and it also conveniently falls during flu season. Also, the only restroom options tend to be porta-potties so this is a key element to the ultimate Mardi Gras fanny pack. 

4. Capri Sun

ice
Christal Acosido

This one seems weird but it was potentially the best thing to happen to my Mardi Gras fanny pack last year. The Capri Sun perfectly molds to the shape of your fanny pack and doesn't take up too much room like a soda can would. Capri Sun is the ideal thirst quencher or mixer. Just do it. 

5. Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans 

coffee, espresso, cappuccino, mocha, cereal, relish, decaffeinated coffee
Keriss101

I don't know about you, but I truly run on caffeine and sugar. Chocolate covered espresso beans will get you through that mid-afternoon slump and motivate you to get to the next parade. Plus, they're the perfect caffeinated sweet treat to fill your Mardi Gras fanny pack. 

6. Collapsable Water Bottle

milk, yogurt, soda, water, ice, cream, juice
Kristine Mahan

Hydration is so necessary during Mardi Gras. After multiple parades and lots of dancing on elevated surfaces, you'll be in need of some water, and the collapsable water bottle is definitely the move. It fits in your fanny pack when it's empty and often has a clip to hang on your fanny pack when it's full. It's worth investing in for a successful carnival season. 

7. Fanny Pack

beer, tea
Alexis Salcedo

Okay, this may seem obvious but some people really slack on the fanny pack. Your fanny pack has to be cool to complete your Mardi Gras outfit ensemble. Also, make sure it's not tiny so that it can fit all the necessities. 

Anyone can have a successful Mardi Gras with the right fanny pack. But don't forget, Mardi Gras is called Fat Tuesday for a reason, so don't skimp on the snacks. If you stock all these items in your fanny pack you will be sure to have a Mardi Gras for the books.