Even if you haven't spent hours binge-watching Parks and Recreation, you've probably heard of Galentine's Day, usually celebrated with a classic Galentine's Day brunch. But in case you haven't, this holiday falls on February 13th and was created by the lovely and inspirational Leslie Knope. It offers a simple excuse to avoid any and all dudes for a day — and Valentine's Day itself if that's not your thing — and instead gather your closest girlfriends to have the friendship celebration of the year. 

Now, regardless of where you celebrate, brunch is an essential part of comprehensive girlfriend bonding. If you're looking for inspiration or want to prepare a menu, don't fear: these are 7 must-haves for the ultimate Galentine's Day brunch.

1. Waffles

chocolate, sweet, cream, cake, pastry, candy, waffle
Aoife Leogue

Waffles are the cornerstone of a classic Galentine's Day brunch. Doughy and warm, the waffle is a classic breakfast food that offers unlimited possibilities for customization to satisfy any sweet tooth Whether you're seeking to serve and enjoy churro waffles or vegan peanut butter waffles, there are endless varieties to choose from.

An easy way to satisfy the cravings of all of your friends without going waffle-crazy, is to set up a waffle bar with an array of toppings. Popular and mouth-watering options include fresh fruit (my personal favorite combo is raspberry and apple), chocolate sauce, whipped cream, peanut butter, honey, ice cream, nuts, candy crumbles, cereal and of course, syrup and powdered sugar.

2. Pancakes

pancake, syrup, waffle, crepe, chocolate, cream, strawberry
Lydia Belden

If any of your girlfriends aren't waffle fans, pancakes are the perfect swap for Galentine's Day brunch. Like with waffles, you can set up a topping bar with more fresh fruit, sauces and nuts, but you can also put toppings directly into your batter for some truly pimped-out pancakes.

Turn the heat up on the griddle and try out some classic banana chocolate chip pancakes. Top with whipped cream, peanut butter, and more banana slices and chocolate chips. Whip out the sprinkles and cake mix for birthday cake pancakes. For a creamy and tangy duo, try out these lemon ricotta pancakes.

3. Crepes 

chocolate, sweet, pastry, cream, cake, candy, crepe
Katie Elliott

To round out the classic batter-based breakfast foods are crepes, very thin and delicate pancakes originating from France. As an extremely popular food for brunch, crepes are the perfect option for your Galentine's Day celebration, whether you prefer them sweet or savory. Plus, they're also easy to make at home

For some sweet flavor combinations, consider some caramelized apple crepes, blueberry lemon crepes (top with lemon curd and blueberry syrup), or some simple Nutella, strawberry and banana crepes.

For those craving a more savory option, try goat cheese, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach for a creamy but hearty crepe, herb crepes with egg, Swiss cheese and ham or some spinach bacon crepes with hollandaise sauce.

4. Eggs Benedict

salmon, cheese, vegetable, tomato
Heather Harris

Eggs Benedict is one of the best foods for brunch, hands down. Nothing else can even come close to the joy that is poached eggs, ham and hollandaise sauce on an English muffin. Except, perhaps, the many various twists of an eggs Benedict, ranging from salmon and dill to crab cakes. 

So if you're looking for an upgrade and Galentine's Day brunch has you feeling spicy, maybe this Sriracha Eggs Benedict with jack cheese, tomato and avocado should be the star of your meal. For a fancier twist, try this brie Eggs Benedict. Or for a simple but always reliable vegetarian version, go for the Eggs Florentine with spinach (and tomato if you're into that) instead of ham.

5. Charcuterie and cheese board

platter, Fruit, fruits, cheese, cracker, crackers, display
Amber Holte

Charcuterie and cheese boards, if you're not familiar with them, are spreads made up of four main components: sliced and dry-cured meats, cheeses and hard meats, spreads and accents which range from fresh or dried fruits to pickles to crackers or bread. They also often involve washing everything down with wine. So if you're throwing a Galentine's Day brunch celebration, chances are having a beautiful and wide array of appetizers sounds like a fantastic idea. The good news: it's fun and easy to assemble your own charcuterie board.

6. Chocolate fondue

chocolate, sweet, cream
Lily Lou

A large volume of warm melted chocolate is basically every girl's food fantasy. Chocolate fountain, anyone? I know I've sure had dreams about them. So it's a no-brainer that chocolate fondue would be the ultimate addition to any Galentine's Day brunch — I can almost guarantee tears of joy will be shed.

If you haven't already started planning a list in your head of all the things you want to dip into your chocolate fondue, don't worry. My personal favorite dippers include pineapple, strawberries, bananas, any other fresh fruit, cookies and cubed cheesecake, though there are countless other dipping options, so you'll surely run out of chocolate before you run out of things to submerge in it.

7. Mimosas 

juice, cocktail, ice, alcohol
Shannon Daly

No brunch, Galentine's Day or otherwise, would be complete without some mimosas. All it takes is some orange juice and champagne to add some extra oomph (aka booze) to your brunch festivities. If oranges aren't your favorite, try these grapefruit mimosas or any of these other champagne cocktails. Or, if you're looking for a more bougie upgrade to the classic mimosa, try a sorbet mimosa, perfect for trying out new and unusual flavors. 

If you don't already have a Galentine's Day brunch scheduled with your girlfriends, it's time to rally and celebrate the best day of the year with the best meal of the day. Between these seven must-haves, any brunch will be unstoppable and unforgettable.