Although Eggo Waffles are all the rage because of Stranger Things, home-cooked, vegan waffles are also worthy of a cult-following Netflix show. Two of us UF spoonies decided to collaborate on this article, and we had a BLAST whipping up these alternative waffles and photographing them with Bella the pup. 

Our inspiration for this article was a recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Waffles from Minimalist Baker. Instead of a humdrum Sunday morning with cereal and toast, our breakfast was for vegan and thrifty champions - and was super simple to cook with the help of a rotating waffle maker.  

#SpoonTip: Non-Spoon roommates will think you're crazy for spending 15 minutes repositioning a waffle on a porch for "better lighting" - embrace it!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Waffles

• 1.5 cups flour
  • 1 cup soy milk
  • 1 large browned banana
  • 2.5 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
  • Dash salt
Mackenzie Patel

Combine all the ingredients and grease waffle iron.

Mackenzie Patel

Make sure the banana is finely mashed to create a smooth, soupy mixture.

Mackenzie Patel

Spread batter into waffle maker and cook for 7-8 minutes.

Mackenzie Patel

Leave plain or top with extra peanut butter, chocolate chips, or vegan marshmallows.

Mackenzie Patel

No Chocolate? No Problem

Fruit, Healthy, strawberry, berry, sweet, pasture
Tess Tarantino

Not everyone is a chocoholic like the two of us (and the entire UF Spoon chapter), so if you're more of a fruit and nut type of person, feel free to substitute that for the chocolate. 

Or if you're really feeling rebellious, you can even sub in candy or other sweet treats to make these waffles go above and beyond.

The important thing to remember here is that you need to chop all fruit and nuts very finely to avoid getting large and unpleasant chunks.

Want More Spunk? Try Some Toppings!

Shaun Rizzolo

If chocolate peanut butter vegan waffles aren't fancy enough for you and you need some more jazz in your life, consider adding toppings. 

While you could go for the classic warm syrup like we did, you could also top your waffles with things like marshmallows, warm chocolate sauce, baked fruit and so much more!

Remember: calories don't count on the weekends, so indulge a little bit!

Dairy Or Bust!

sweet, milk
Katherine Baker

In this recipe collaboration, we were working with a vegan and a non-vegan. Luckily, you can't tell a difference between these waffles and regular waffles, but it's understandable if some people want to use dairy and animal products.

Luckily, you can easily do so with this waffle recipe!

If you're interested in making these with dairy, simply substitute the soy milk for regular milk and add in one egg. Or even better — you can add some heated butter to your hot waffles after they come out of the waffle iron for an extra savory factor.

What Did We Learn?

Collaborating as chefs was one thing — we had a great time and got to make our breakfast from scratch and eat it together. On top of that, we collaborated as creators. From writing skills to photography skills, we learned a lot about each other in a fun, lighthearted atmosphere. 

While we could have easily gone out for breakfast, this was much more fun, and we saved a good $15 on food that took minimal effort to make.