Coming from a family that makes a huge deal about birthdays, we always seem to step it up to make sure everyone has the most memorable and delicious meals throughout their special day. Of course the birthday dinner is a big part of the day, but if you aren’t starting your day with pancakes, are you still allowed to tell your Facebook friends it was a “great birthday”? I don’t really think so, but I am also a little pancake-biased…

My love for pancakes has gotten to the point where a batch of chocolate chip pancakes doesn’t exactly signify a big day (as this happens once, maybe twice a week).  So if you’re anything like me and need something special to set a particular batch of pancakes apart from your Sunday morning usual, meet Birthday Cake Pancakes! Their fluffy, colorful goodness is almost exciting enough, but add the buttercream glaze, and you have yourself a fantastic start to any day.
nike free 4.0

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 
15 minutes

Servings: Makes about 8 pancakes with glaze

Pancakes

Photo by Celeste Holben

1 cup of your favorite pancake mix (Bisquik works)
1 cup funfetti or yellow cake mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

For butter cream glaze:
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon vanilla
Sprinkles
nike air max tn

1. Combine the pancake and cake mixes in a large bowl with the milk, eggs and vanilla. Mix thoroughly, adding sprinkles in this step if you want added color in your pancakes.

Pancakes

Photo by Celeste Holben

2. In a separate bowl, combine the powdered sugar, melted butter, cream, vanilla and sprinkles. Mix thoroughly, adding sprinkles to taste (or sight?)

Pancakes

Photo by Celeste Holben

3. Heat buttered griddle or nonstick pan to medium-high heat.
4. Pour small circle onto pan, spread evenly and watch closely, making sure to flip pancakes when bubbles start forming on the top of the batter
(Pro Tip: ere on the side of flipping too soon, as these are much more sugary and tend to turn brown sooner)
5. Take pancakes off when cooked all the way through, pour glaze on top with another dose of sprinkles, and enjoy!

Pancakes

Photo by Celeste Holben