August is that weird transitional month in between the two seasons, summer and fall. We've still got a couple of weeks off of school, but in the same month, the college fall semester starts back up again (??). However, what's really great about August is all of the fall fruits and veggies that are available this time of year. So I guess this is also an excuse to make —and anticipate—some great fall recipes. Try something new these next 31 days and prepare for the school year ahead. Here are 31 fall recipes you can make this month starring in-season produce. 

1. Sweet Potato and Brie Empanadas

dough, flour, dumpling, pastry, bread, ravioli, gyoza, sweet
Julia McKellar

To start the month off right, try these empanadas made with everyone's favorite fall vegetable: the sweet potato. The salty, warm brie pairs perfectly with the spiced sweet potato. Since these empanadas are made as a large batch and are easy to reheat, they're a great pack-along lunch for your summer internship. 

2. Grapefruit Dutch Baby

Phoebe Melnick

At your next brunch, impress your friends this this bougie dish. A tart twist on the original Dutch baby, this recipe incorporates grapefruit into the German classic. 

3. Fennel Salad with Grapefruit

vegetable, salad, lettuce
Max Bartick

The refreshing flavors of this salad will make any hot summer day a hundred times better. Crisp butter lettuce, juicy grapefruit, and crunchy fennel are topped with ribbons of sharp Pecorino cheese and a drizzle of honey vinaigrette.

4. Handmade Leek Tart

pizza, cheese, pesto
Brandon Guild

This tart combines the flavor of caramelized leeks, sweet fennel, and savory mushrooms into a dish that is sure to warm your soul any day of the year. The recipe does take some time to make, but in the end, it is so worth it

6. Spinach, Feta, and Almond Orzo

rice, cereal, risotto, vegetable, pilaf, corn, brown rice
Kathleen Lee

A little bit of crunch, and a little bit of tang. This orzo recipe is great as a side dish or on its own. Plus, it's great to pack for lunch between summer classes. 

7. Kiwi & Pineapple Mojito

cocktail, juice, smoothie, mint
Kailla Coomes

If you didn't have time to visit the beach this summer, these mojitos will make you feel like you're in paradise. The kiwi has more of a refreshing taste, while the pineapple is the sweeter of the two. 

8. Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Monica Lazarus

The tartness of rhubarbs and sweetness of strawberries take this pie to a whole other level. In the end, you have a juicy yet dessert can can brighten any rainy summer day. 

9. Gluten Free Broccolini & Sausage Pizza

sauce, tomato, spinach, cheese, pizza, mozzarella
Elena Damon

If you're in the mood to catch up on Netflix while enjoying some hot pizza (because we all know those two things go amazing together), then give thin gluten-free spin a try. You can get some of your daily greens with the broccolini, plus some protein with the sausage and mozzarella. 

10. Vegetarian Sliders With Mango Coleslaw

sandwich, bread, lettuce, cheese, bun, tomato, meat, vegetable
Miranda Reilly

For your next summer BBQ, whip up these simple-to-make vegetarian sliders. They are full of crunch and vibrant flavor, plus the meat-eaters in your party are sure to love them as well. 

11. Pumpkin Pie Cake

cake, chocolate, sweet, cream, pastry, pie, candy
Caroline Grew

With fall so close, it's never too early to enjoy this pumpkin pie cake. This recipe is fairly easy to make and tastes almost like a pumpkin spice latte. 

12. Thai Coconut and Ginger Soup

soup, cream, vegetable, parsley
Shawn Eliav

If you have ever been to a Thai restaurant, this soup falls under the name Soup Galangal or Tom Kha Gai. However, with this recipe, it's fairly easy to make at home. It makes a perfect dinner that is quick to make after your summer job or class.  

13. Orange Creamsicle Smoothie

milk, juice, sweet, cream, yogurt
Jake Popescu

Enjoy a new twist on the summer classic with this smoothie. It is much creamier than your average creamsicle, plus much healthier for you, too. 

#SpoonTip: Navel oranges are in season this month. Try them in this recipe!

14. The Ultimate Waffle, Hash Brown, Egg, Sausage, Goat Cheese and Avocado Breakfast Sandwich

sandwich, bread, egg, lettuce, cheese
Shalayne Pulia

After a long night of drinking, you're gonna want to give this epic breakfast sandwich a try. It makes a stellar hangover cure and is sure to make your rough morning a million times better. 

15. Margarita Ice Pops

lemon, juice, lime, citrus, sweet, lemonade, citron
Kristen Carlstrom

These margarita ice pops are sweet, refreshing, and real boozy. They make a great dessert to share with your squad at the beach or by the pool. 

16. Nutella Strawberry Panini

beef, steak, barbecue, pork, meat, brisket
Tarika Narain

After a long day, come home to the deliciousness that is this sandwich. Just place everything in a panini press, and you've got a rich, hot dish that pairs well with Netflix binging. 

17. Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry with Sage and Portobello

rice, chicken, sauce
Shalayne Pulia

Looking to get back on track with your health before school starts? Then begin with this veggie and protein filled stir-fry. You'll also find yourself spending a bit less on take-out too. 

18. Pumpkin Spice Brussels Sprouts

vegetable, sprouts, brussels sprout
Florence Ma

Got any left over pumpkin spice from last fall? Then give it a new purpose this summer with this savory, yet sweet, side dish. 

19. Healthy Turkey Chili 

avocado, rice
Sami Canavan

With school in mind, plan for some successful meal prepping with this inexpensive turkey chili recipe. On average, there's enough to get you through your first week of classes. School is stressful enough, so having this healthy dish in hand will make your life so much easier. 

20. Cherry Watermelon Sangria

cocktail, ice, juice, alcohol, lemon, mint, wine, liquor, lime
Haley Abram

Drink to the end of summer vacay and to the beginning of a new school year with this cherry watermelon sangria. The sweet watermelon and cherry make a great combo with the tart lime.

21. Buffalo Cauliflower

sauce, meat, chicken, pork, vegetable, beef
Katie Zizmor

As we enter the fall semester, I can't help but think about football, and better yet, tailgate BBQs. Celebrate the start of a new game season with these cauliflower bites smothered in buffalo sauce. They'll taste as good as real wings. 

22. Spicy Jalapeño Pineapple Margarita

pineapple, juice
Sara Tane

Even if school has started already, relive summer with this fun, alcoholic drink. It's got a bit of spice, a bit of sweetness, and a whole lotta tropical flair. Perfect for enjoying by the apartment poolside (if you're so lucky).  

23. Sweet Potato Falafel

vegetable, spinach, meat, herb
Diana Ghidanac

Whether you enjoy the original falafel or not, everyone is sure to love this sweet potato twist. Since this recipe makes a large batch, these falafels make a great addition to your meal prep line-up. 

24. Gluten-Free Apples Foster Recipe

meat, rice, vegetable
Emma Danbury

Forget banana foster. Opt into a dish that is more in-season. By using Fuji apples, you'll get a mouth-watering dish that celebrates the start of fall. 

25. Broccoli Cheese Tots

vegetable, broccoli, courgette, herb, cheese
Jackie Kuczynski

If you find yourself wanting a snack during a long Netflix session (because you're probably bored with school already), then give these healthy tots a try. These broccoli tots will allow you to mindfully munch on something cheesy and delicious. 

26. Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup

soup, cream, bread, vegetable, parsley, broccoli, garlic, broth
Parisa Soraya

Fan of the OG broccoli cheddar soup at Panera? Then you are gonna love this recipe. It's healthier, cheaper, and even creamier. 

27. Low-Carb Cauliflower Crust Pizza

pizza, broccoli, cheese
Laura Silver

If you're trying to keep up with your healthy summer snacking this coming school year, don't think you have to give up late night pizza. Even with a lower carb count, this recipe is delicious and totally customizable to your tastes. 

28. Orange Chocolate Chunk Cake

chocolate, peanut, orange
Tatum Kenrick

Whether it's for birthdays, anniversaries, or a rainy afternoon alone, this cake is perfect for any celebration. It's soaked in orange syrup and covered in chocolate ganache, keeping it moist for days. 

29. Marinated Olives

vegetable, legume, oil
Charlotte Hull

Olives are a great source of antioxidants, vitamin E, and healthy fats. So these marinated olives make the perfect study or party snack. 

30. Cheesy, Garlicky Brussels Sprouts with Prosciutto

Julianna Ruof

Brussels sprouts have quite the bad rap, but these veggies are super healthy for you and taste absolutely amazing when prepared right. This recipe combines Brussels sprouts with prosciutto and Romano cheese for a savory dish even sprout-haters will love. 

31. Orange-Ginger Infused White Wine

cocktail, juice, ice, tequila, lemon, liquor, citrus, alcohol, lime
Savannah Carter

It's the end of the month, so celebrate with this new, sexier version of a sangria. Your friends will be impressed with all it's ~finesse~. 

By this point, if you've made all of these recipes, you deserve to give yourself a pat on the back. You've completed an entire month's worth of recipes with what's in season. I hope through this process that you have enjoyed this odd month featuring some new and exciting recipes.